View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Could you give me an idea of cost for the weekend...fuel, tires, pads. Just curious
Folks talk about a spec Miata being cheap, I can't/won't go there.

Inbox is clear and no, not yet. LOL

I wish I had enough track days under my belt to really have a handle on the costs but sadly the weekend you saw me run was day 6 & 7 on track.

Tracking a car is never cheap. Period. Some cars are cheaper to run but nothing is cheap.

Saving money by driving a Miata? Hmmm.

So brake wear I cannot comment on yet although who needs brakes, they only slow you down.

My low hp v8 does not eat like Greg's but I still burn about 15 gallons for a full day. I pay $9 a gallon for leaded 110 by my house so figure $130-160 for a days fuel.

The Shelby club events are more expensive. You can run with other groups for far less. In my area you can usually figure about $175 a day for track fees so low end $350 up to the $5-600 that Weld is talking about for a full weekend. Some times tracks like Streets of Willow have entry fees as low as $110 with some groups.

Big name tracks = more cost. It costs more to runs at Laguna Seca or Sonoma than say Buttonwillow or Chuckwalla.

The Spec Toyo RA1s, and now Toyo RRs, in a 275 35 18 cost about $1100 a set. It looks like I will get 4 weekends out of my first set of RA1s. The RRs will wear faster and if I up my speed on track they will wear faster yet. I'd bet I will get 4-5 track days from a set of RRs. The RA1s wear like iron so I bet they would always give me 7-8 days even if I get to be fast.

Figure you will bleed your brakes after every weekend. Oil and fluid changes are up to you.

Then you have to get to the track and back. For me that is a Diesel pulling a 40ft gooseneck with a sleeper section (I probably should post some info on that at some point) up front at 8mpg. So for a 100 mile trip to the track add another $60-75.

So a weekend away staying in my trailer is about $1k give or take.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Last edited by FETorino; 12-23-2016 at 12:42 AM.