View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Nice on the surface = repackaged Dominator Credit Card Appeal

At $999.00, they don't compete, but they are getting closer. When they charge 500 extra bucks to control a dinosaur 4l80 (no 6l) and a super-modern DBW throttle body, it's a joke. They're also advertising boost control with a 1 bar MAP sensor--also a joke.

At $1500.00, they don't even compete with a GM plug and play for nearly any engine they sell. How about that wiring harness and gas pedal? You can get a GM e38 on eBay for less than a hundred bucks.

It's nice that Holley is sponsoring events, but there is a large similarity here to the way Optima tries to run its game/events. The company gets richer selling over-priced sucker gear, while the customer gets a really expensive T-shirt (but a lovely experience).

If one looks into the displays that Holley and others like Racepak sell, the basic hardware capability is less than that of a $40.00 Chinese tablet you can buy on eBay (and nearly any smartyphone).

I hate to say it, but the old Holley supported a hobby that basic incomes could support--I participated in the era of $200.00 carburetors when I was a teenager. The current trend of overly priced stuff like this has really helped to destroy the perceived (and real) accessibility of this hobby.

Instead of paying too much money for a purported self-tuning bunch of BS, people need to invest in learning to cobble, tune, and fail for a while. That's what hotrodding is supposed to be. If you can just buy your way in and flip a pretty switch, it's something else . . .

Sorry for the rant. The basic GM stuff and HPTuners win all day long.