View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM

This past April I completed my first year of collision repair classes. We learned all the basics about body work and paint. During open lab time I was able to bring the wagon into the shop. Unfortunately it had gotten a cheap re-paint along the way, which included a poorly done filler hack. A lot of the areas around the rear wheels have been forming rust behind the bondo and by last year I had up to fist sized rust holes. Replacement sheet metal for wagons seems hard to come by, let alone a 79 Cutlass so I had to fab patch panels from sheet metal. Some photos...

Passenger side. That's 3" pipe so you can see the size of the hole. This side was pretty much limited to this area.

Driver's side had smaller holes but was in a lot worse shape. Rust was everywhere and you can see how thick the bondo was. Looks like they just slopped it on even in the drilled holes used to pull a dent. Not welding in these areas was just asking for rust to form.

Here's the driver side after cutting out the rust and applying Por-15 to the inner panels. Also the fabricated patch panel.

I patched all other holes in a similar manner, welding new metal in and then applying Por-15 to hold them over until I can get back to them in when school starts up again in August.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build