View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
When I first saw Ron's list of potential fiberglass bodies I couldn't believe it. I was like well okay those are prototype bodies that someone is going to make if you buy one, cuz I can't believe those bodies are out there and available for purchase because I've never heard of them.

But there it is, widebodied no less. I don't know what those bodies cost but geez to create a wide body mold and then build a body of which I believe the count is one, just blows me away. I mean just commissioning a fiberglass wide body Mustang seems like it would be a project in itself.

Beyond that I just love Ron's chassis designs, so amazingly functional. I've seen a lot of fancy chassis being built, but when I see one of Ron's I"m like yup that is exactly each bar needed and nothing extraneous.

Looking forward to watching this one.
Preston, you are spot on in many ways.

This Wide-Body 70 Fastback Mustang body did not exist before this. But in my 35+ years of racing & building race industry relationships ... I've learned who can do what ... and do it well ... versus those that are full of bulls@#$.

I've worked with Richard Earle of Suncoast Race Cars several times years back & I knew what he & his team was capable of. I knew he could create almost anything custom, as long as we were willing to pay a realistic price for what custom work takes.

Normally it takes 3-4 months to have an entire "regular" fiberglass body ... shell, doors, front end, hood, scoop, dash, decklid, etc .... built. The error we made was thinking we could build a full custom widened car ... with rocker skirts, flush glass, wicked air dam & hood scoop blended ... in the same time. We didn't. It took 6 months for the shell & the rest will be 7 months.

So it shortened the time we have to build the car to 4 months. Most people would be panic'd. But not my crew. This is old hat to us.

Randy Chastain of One-Off Customs is building "most" of the car. Mike Tolle of Tolle Fab is building the cage & installing all the features I want TIG welded. Ron Sutton Race Technology is providing the design, parts & oversight.

Randy is a long time friend. He was General Manager of Ron Sutton's Winner's Circle from start to finish. Randy over saw the building, set-up, racing, repair ... and sometimes ... rebuilding ... of 26 race cars there. He played a HUGE role in the hundred plus wins we got during that time.

Mike is a long time race car builder in IMSA, having worked on and/or built just about every type of road race car. We've worked together on many projects & I love his work.

The target is to be running a private test day on track at the end of June. We got this.

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 03-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.