View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie707 View Post
Hello all looking for a little feedback here . Started my 68 Camaro project and keep going back and forth whether to use an aftermarket frame or a stock one . I currently have none . The car is going to mostly be a street driven car but if pushed I want it to be able to handle some track time maybe once a year . Trying to compare pricing of finding a stock frame and changing everything over with a rack vs buying a complete new subframe . Thanks I’m advance
Well, I have seen people keeping their stock subframe but upgrading the upper& lower control arms (ridetech or speedtech) and use upgraded steering box.

I bought my 68 camaro and the previous owner put complete front and rear Speedtech Pro touring suspension. Unfortunately, the only rack& pinion that can be used with their pro touring subframe is Unisteer Rack & Pinion, which is known for leaking issues, and the thread engagement between inner &outer rods is very minimum.

I ordered a new rack & pinion from unisteer because the old was leaking. The new one started to leak and after so many email exchanges with them, they sent me a new rack. I installed the new rack, drove the car to the alignment shop. They noticed that the inner tie rods were loose. It might have been out of alignment causing issues with inner tie rods.

Had to order new inner tie rods from Unisteer.

To make a long story short, if you decide to go with aftermarket subframe and decide to get the Speedtech, go with their extreme subframe as it has got different type of Rack&Pinion.

Other subframe manufacturers such as Art Morrison also uses DSE rack&pinion, which is a top notch quality.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
The Following User Says Thank You to 72Z/28 For This Useful Post:
dhutton (10-17-2020)