Thread: Javelin
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 PM

Default Javelin

Been meaning to start a build thread for some time, and finally getting around to it. I hadn't had a "cool" car since high school, and a couple of years ago, I realized the kids were old enough that I might be able to take on a project. Wanted to find something unique (my high school car was a 68 Camaro convertible). Something that looks great but not a car you'd see very often. While the wife was out of town on a girls trip and thus unable to object, I bought a 69 Javelin that had been sitting outside for about 20 years, and was in pretty rough shape. It took about a year or so to figure out what I wanted to do with it. A friend had turned me onto the Optima Ultimate Street Car show on TV, and I also found their podcast. After a few episodes, I was hooked and knew exactly what kind of car the Javelin should be. A classic American muscle car that (hopefully) looks & performs better than it did when it was new.

Still have a very long way to go, but here are a few pics of progress along the way. The phrase "scope creep" doesn't begin to describe what's happened to it, compared with what I originally thought the car would be. Having a ton of fun learning about what's possible with the vast array of aftermarket parts available today, and hoping the end result is a car that is fun to drive, turns a few heads, and has a chance at being competitive once its' driver gets A LOT of seat time. Will get more pics posted if people are interested in seeing more of it.

Engine:
LQ4 6.0 with PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 heads
TSP custom grind cam 223/230 .600/.600
SRP flat-top pistons
Scat I-beam rods
LS6 intake

Trans: Bowler-prepped T-56 Magnum close ratio
Tilton ST-246 clutch kit

Rear end: it's complicated. Moser 9" housing, Currie TrueTrac w/ 3.89, and Strange pro-touring floater axles

Suspension: Detroit Speed X-Gen front
Detroit Speed X-Gen Quadralink rear
JRI double -adjustable shocks

Brakes: Wilwood Superlite 4R Big Brake Rear, AERO6 Big Brake Front

Wheels: Forgeline GF3 open lug 18x11 and 18x12
Tires: TBD, 315/30/18 and 335/30/18

Mike
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dapalong For This Useful Post:
camcojb (08-29-2019), CCS (09-03-2019), Roscoe03 (04-13-2020), syborg tt (08-27-2019), WILWAXU (08-27-2019), WSSix (08-28-2019)