View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Lash View Post
What is the weight balance on that thing? Is it rear engine. It looks like a blast, like a big go kart. Most people don't seem to understand how important power to weight is, they just keep adding power.

Yeah I'm not sure why a manufacturer would even make pull down style for the lap, shoulder yes obviously pull down style but not for the lap.

63% of the weight is in the rear.... So snap oversteer is always in the back of a guys mind. It does run a staggered tire - but you still have to be mindful of that rear weight bias.

It has good aero - the body is (NOW) set up with a 10MM rake to the nose... and the wing is set at max downforce.

Here's what I remind people when they see the two cars together - and invariably ask - How much horse power does that "thing" have...

When their shoulders slump after hearing 252....

I point out the Mustang weighs 3015 # and has 4 speed and 590 HP.... BUT the lowly Lotus only weighs 1470 and has 252 and a 6 speed... and you're not trying to push a brick thru the air.

I have now followed (or been in front of) many different cars on the track... if you're carrying any speed at all -- the little Lotus will blow by most of them. It's only if you end up with low RPM's and need some torque that the little 1.8 liter motor just won't cut it... but it's not a problem - 'cause you just catch them at the next corner by out braking 'em. HAHAHAHAHA