View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
Love the videos, also its very clear that Barney corners much flatter than I would anticipate for how much travel it has nice work man. Looks like a blast and glad that you are out there using it as it should be =)....We need more people from here out beating on their cars like we do

I am by no stretch of the imagination an engine expert but cylinder number 4 spark plug has more than a little bit of oil on it. If I were a betting man, I would guess broken Ring or Ringland on cylinder 4 and possibly 5.

Coolant level up is a bit of a question though without it being much different in color.

Whats next? Change oil, fresh plugs and run it? Compression test would probably give you a good indicator if you broke a ring, compression on that hole would be down.

Bummer about the engine, but glad you are having fun with it.

Sean
Thanks, I REALLY enjoyed watching the videos from Sean and Val when they were behind my car. First time I've had that view and it looked good. Had a blast behind the wheel also, I'll post the previous wet session video up below...it was a hoot as well. Just wish I could have enjoyed the drier sessions more.

What is strange about the coolant gain is it has been pushing antifreeze out the recovery tank for a couple of events now. At first I thought the cap on my tank failed after 35 years, so I put a new tank and cap on it...still leaked out. Then I just chalked it up to possibly being overfilled when it puked coolant out at next event. It also puked a bunch out after my 2nd wet session on track...again, first time it's been run hard in long time.

When it didn't go back down after the blowby stuff started, that's when things got strange. Oil level is about where it should be so maybe it's just got a dang air pocket in the cooling system now? I have a 1/8" hole in my thermostat and have NEVER had a hard time getting air out of system. Fill rad up, start engine, when t-stat opens a bit radiator level drops, top off, put cap on and fill recovery tank up boom...done...

The smoke started the first time when it blew the breather off the driver side valve cover. I thought it just fell off and oil drained down on right turns and hit headers. I cleaned it all back up and went out for next session. End of first long straight, big backfire on decel, big puff of smoke out tailpipes, then it went away, next turn...again big puff of smoke in mirrors. I pulled off track and it was huffing smoke out my catch can filter.

BTW, this was all that was in my catch can. Hadn't been emptied in 1500 hard miles.

Leakdown test tonight... We'll see. Not really mad or anything, thing has been beat on like a rented mule...just want to know so I can formulate a plan. All I really don't want hurt is the heads. The rest is easily replaceable.