View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
With a 195 degree sensor the PWM controller is trying to control the temperature of the coolant exiting the radiator to 195 degrees afaik. If it enters the engine at 195 it seems reasonable that it would be 210-ish when it leaves the engine and enters the radiator.

Maybe try the 185 sensor if you want it to run cooler.

Don
I've tried 180° sensor and the 195° no real difference. Have also tried 160° and 180° thermostats, again, no difference in highway temp, fans are always on because once its warmed up its seems to stay at 200° which won't shut the fans down, and in traffic it goes to 220° and a little higher if its stopped and no airflow, just the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
I don't think your fans do anything at highway speed, I agree turning them off with a switch wouldn't change the temperature. You can do the math to confirm if you want. Your set up doesn't look bad to me for an electric fan set up, but you are blocking some of the radiator with the shroud. A pusher fan isn't going to help things, it will block more air, don't do it. Around town bigger diameter fans would help probably, maybe some on the highway too. Do you know what your A/F mixture runs in those conditions? Maybe you are running too lean?
I kinda agree about the pusher concept. I don't know for sure what the A/F mixture is or the timing... gonna have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
On the highway that set up should run cooler than 200 in 85 degree weather. Not far from your t stat rating. I agree with looking at your air/fuel mixture and timing. A vaccum leak? Fatten up your idle circuit or throw some bigger jets in the primary side and see if it cools it down a bit. Does it surge under light throttle? Ping?
Hadn't thought of the vacuum leak possibility. No surging, no pinging, shuts off without any knocking or anything else.

While I'll admit that the article "Budget Cooling" drew me to these fans, plus the fact that they are shallow and many have used them for V8 engines including a 461 BBC although the El Camino has a bigger radiator than the Camaro I'm sure. Perhaps I have to look at a couple of more powerful 11'-12" fans that will fit without hitting the serpentine pulleys or belt.

Derale 16925 High Output Radiator Fan is a 12" that is rated at 2000 CFM at Zero static pressure, so maybe in real use it pulls 1500-1700 CFM? While they sell it separately as a Pusher, they offer it as a dual Puller 12" kit with a shroud and in the video demo they state it must be used with a custom shroud as a puller. I emailed them for more info and some better specs.

SPAL Automotive USA 30101522 is a 12" puller that's rated at 1328 CFM and I don't know if this one in tandem would be enough, although reviews say guys are using them with Big Blocks and they do the job. SPAL is supposedly the company that doesn't over rate their fans. These would probably fit well.