Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Default hydraboost issues ???? help

I recently installed a Hydraboost from Hydratech have some issues.

1. very noisy all the time (ps growl)
2. fluid foams up as soon as the car starts, it has about 4 hours on it now.
3. after releasing the brake pedal the brakes hold for a second or two

Im using a Billet Specialties Tru Trac system with a Maval pump and Billet Specialties reservoir. Paul @ Hydratech said "it should work fine"

It appears to have alot of return pressure into the reservoir, more than it had pre-hydraboost. Is this why its foaming? is one PS fluid better than another?

I've been told to drive it and it'll get better but the longer I drive it the more noise it makes.

Anyone have a fix or suggestions? please help!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM

i have this system but have not used it yet but have replaced these type of units on trucks. make sure that the lines are in the correct positions and that the system hold vacuum. it might be sucking air but noe have a leak.
good luck and let us know when you figure it out

Brandon
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM

The Hydratech system will not work with the Billet Specialties reservoir, it will not support the Hydratech system with enough fluid to keep it working. I have the other reservoirs in stock and they work perfect. The BS one can not supply enough fluid to the hydratech system and will eventually explode.
The noise is coming from not enough fluid supply and that will cause the foam as well.

You also need to make sure you are using a high quality PS fluid and not tranny fluid or a lower quality

Last edited by fesler; 05-29-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

I had a problem with noise and foaming. Paul recommended an additive that solved the problem. The name is LubeGuard it's in a little blue bottle. Napa sells it.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 PM

I've had excellent results using GM Power Steering Fluid. From a performance and anti-foaming standpoint, it was the best.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

I had a similar problem, it turned out that the new style PS pump that I'm now using is ultra sensitive to fluid level in the resevoir. It looks almost like it has too much fluid now and the foaming and noise went away.

As for the slow brake pedal return, that's almost certainly a backpressure issue on the assist unit discharge line. Are you running a T on the low pressure side? Is it oriented the right way? With my new style PS pump, there was so much flow on the low pressure side, it was backing up the discharge line and doing exactly the same thing you described. To fix this, I now have the assist unit discharging directly into the resevoir and not T'd into the low pressure side of the PS circuit.

Oh, and how do you spell resevoir? I know that's not right. lol

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
I've had excellent results using GM Power Steering Fluid. From a performance and anti-foaming standpoint, it was the best.
I am using GM Power Steering fluid, and the reservoir is the same size as any other I've seen.
The BS reservoir does return the fluid at the top and it seems very aggrivated doing so. Would it be better to tap the res. in the side lower in the fluid or will that change pressure?

What would cause the pedal to hold 2 seconds after being released?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Hydraboost

Mike Bassi's Camaro did the samething. The fix is to run to return lines to the power steering tank. 1 from the booster and 1 from your steering. Also use a high quality fluid. Changing to 2 return lines on Mike's car corrected all the problems you are having by letting the 2 systems work independant of each other.
By the way we got the tank from a 4 wheel drive place, it seams that a lot of off-roaders are using hydra boosters.

Kevin
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
I had a similar problem, it turned out that the new style PS pump that I'm now using is ultra sensitive to fluid level in the resevoir. It looks almost like it has too much fluid now and the foaming and noise went away.

As for the slow brake pedal return, that's almost certainly a backpressure issue on the assist unit discharge line. Are you running a T on the low pressure side? Is it oriented the right way? With my new style PS pump, there was so much flow on the low pressure side, it was backing up the discharge line and doing exactly the same thing you described. To fix this, I now have the assist unit discharging directly into the resevoir and not T'd into the low pressure side of the PS circuit.

Oh, and how do you spell resevoir? I know that's not right. lol
Yes, I have the T in correctly.

Where is your discharge going into the reservoir, top or bottom? seems to me if it were in the bottom it could back up and if in the top it could cause foaming.

RESERVOIR - I had to look it up
Old 05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78macho View Post
Yes, I have the T in correctly.

Where is your discharge going into the reservoir, top or bottom? seems to me if it were in the bottom it could back up and if in the top it could cause foaming.

RESERVOIR - I had to look it up
Reservoir. Got it. I was close. lol

Here you go, pictures are worth a 1000 words. I have the discharge line fitting above the fluid level. I'm using -6 line with a fuel cell bulkhead fitting.

My LS7 69 Camaro