Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM

Default CREDIT TO MIKE (Mr Angry)

Hello guys, I thought I would write up a little history on my journey to Pro-touring vehicles and passing on the credit to a man that put me onto it.

Mike (Mr Angry - 68 Charger 69 Daytona - Big Muscle by Ride) was who introduced me in a way to Pro-Touring cars 5 years ago when I gave the good man a call. I always wanted a more straight line performing car, lighter springs up front for weight transfer and all that but then after speaking to him, things just made sense. There is always going to be someone faster. With a pro-touring car, you get a car that is reliable and can be driven, it can be driven hard into corners as well, safety of breaking and so forth (modern technology) and at same time, with enough power in there, all you are really losing by not having a 0.88T Bar setup for straight line is 1 to 1.5 seconds in a quarter mile (which would only matter at a race track, not street with street tires as that setup is very inconsistent), yet you gain all that other stuff + consistency. Much more fun on road to drive and reliable.

I still remember calling him up on the phone about purchasing a 1970 Dodge Challenger or a 1968 Dodge Charger. I remember asking him, which would be lighter, which could perform better and so forth. I remember him telling me that the car does not matter so much as the driver. Both cars are tanks. He mentioned how the charger might be a foot longer but its mainly boxed air. So the weight difference between the 2 is negligible as one car with more options will be heavier than other car. He spoke to me why he was not interested in straight line performance (inconsistent, unreliable, things breaking all the time etc). He shared his passion with me, why he loved the 68 Charger personally (to him the toughest looking car ever made), why he built a pro-touring car, why he ran the bullrun and so forth. He just loved the fact he could jump in and drive any time he wanted to. Car would start, it was reliable like a new car.

It was then that I got into the pro-touring thing. I have not built 1 car that is pro-touring since then. I have ran into issues, mechanics, panel beaters, thieves, lost 40,000 dollars in all the hard lessons learned. It was these lessons why I got sick of Dodge (too many conartist mechanics and beaters that stole my money - I know it can happen with any badge, but it happened with that one so the feelings are a little there).

However, all the headaches have just left me, sold my project 1970 Dodge Challenger that was at one of these engine building guys place for 7 years. He was paid 40,000 for the car + all the work to do the car. He did no work to it, made excuses for 7 years and now offered me 12,000 to take it off me. If I decline and take my car back, he says I owe him 5000 still on work done 7 years ago which is a lie. Also, he will charge me 7 years of storage (even though he refused to give me car back for 7 years) and he will sue me for defrauding his name and business (yeah If you read this Mr, Go shoot your business before I shoot you ) I would also have to spend 30,000 more to fix it, which forget it!

So I was better off taking 12 and being finished with the damn nightmare.

Now I have as stated, Purchased my 1969 Mustang Fastback. Car is in great shape, I have finally got something I can smile about.

Now this is my first 'ford' ever owned in my 29 years.

This car will be a pro-touring car, my first car to be a pro-touring car (last as well, I only need one)

Mike - This cars gonna be built with you in mind as this will finally be the fruits of our conversation many years ago on the phone.

Thank you very, very much
George

Last edited by headcase; 01-08-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Blows me away how people can be taken for so much money, maybe if I had more of it I wouldn't watch it as close. Lesson learned I guess.

He's right on about the girth of Chargers but that Mustang is no lightweight either. If you're not competing every weekend it's more about the balance and power of the car. Mike's Charger was put together up in my neck of the woods, big heavy car but felt tight and balanced. The motor came out of a buddies wrecked 70 Coronet, big part of why the car wrecked was it wasn't built to handle. Stock suspension with a healthy motor doesn't handle well.

Musto's a good guy with some cool cars, I enjoy watching the YouTube show he does. Just don't get him started about pizza, or let him see you dipping it in ranch...

Dan
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Big heavy car? 3600 lbs. is heavy? The average musclecar of today is over 4000 lbs. I'll bet with a few glass and aluminum bolt-ons you can get that Charger down to 3300 lbs. Hell that's what I'm going for. And oh yeah...dam all of these 69 Camaros!! They're like friggin Camry's I tell ya!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 PM

Hey George good luck with your new ride. Dealing with some of the scum is real disheartening I think that's one of the reasons good forums are so important to the car hobby. I thi k everyone's been burned one or twice in this hobby that why we should all be very vocal for the guys that treat us right and honor the code!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Sorry for your losses.

You must get word of mouth references on the shop you are going to before starting any work, and never give them any money other than parts money.And even then , only the parts for certain areas..Once those parts are in, you can see the parts and then pay more to buy more...No labor money until the labor is complete..Paying too much up front is a recipe for disaster...

And even with labor, the guy has got to be top notch or you will pay someone later to undo the mess and redo it right...

Good luck on your new adventure

Soon to be crazy