Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

When you look at the performance of this ENTIRE LIST of funds -- check their FIVE YEAR RETURN.... almost all of them have an absolutely DISMAL return of 5% or less... There's only about a handful (5?) that are over 5% and most are far worse than that.

I wish I could swear right now! OMG.... really? FIVE YEARS for 5% per year... Wow! Just Wow!

Think about this -- Phillip Morse (PM) is UP 35% in ONE YEAR -- and UP 10% since the beginning of the year... and that's an old worn out SIN stock!! That's the PRICE appreciation --- not counting the dividend of 3.48%

Did I ever mention how much I hate Mutual Funds??

Last edited by GregWeld; 03-31-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM

BTW -- ERIC!! I'm not picking on you.... or your post... just pointing out the poor performance -- and this is a listing of the "best". WOW! Horrendous...
No wonder people give up saving any money!!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 AM

@ Eric....

Figures.. not ONE fund I in my "available choices" list is on that list. lmao.

oh well, back to doing it my way

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
@ Eric....

Figures.. not ONE fund I in my "available choices" list is on that list. lmao.

oh well, back to doing it my way

That's another "problem" with work chosen 401's... sadly -- so many of them are just a "place holder" that some manager has chosen... and you're stuck with them.

I've talked to many people who have saved via these programs religiously -- and taken full advantage of the matching funds -- only to find out they've been going behind! OMG... It just kills ya to hear that kind of stuff. Since it's so needless. If the managers would just do their jobs and find good funds for their employees. But most of the guys/gals choosing this stuff - aren't knowledgeable themselves!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Investor attention turns next to corporate earnings announcements, which begin when aluminum maker Alcoa, one of the 30 stocks that make up the Dow, reports April 10.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
That's another "problem" with work chosen 401's... sadly -- so many of them are just a "place holder" that some manager has chosen... and you're stuck with them.

I've talked to many people who have saved via these programs religiously -- and taken full advantage of the matching funds -- only to find out they've been going behind! OMG... It just kills ya to hear that kind of stuff. Since it's so needless. If the managers would just do their jobs and find good funds for their employees. But most of the guys/gals choosing this stuff - aren't knowledgeable themselves!
Morning Gentlemen..

You really have to be proactive with your Company 401K Plans...It is Great to put away 15% of your pay and get a company match too..Sometimes that is ALL people EVER save...

BUT they are limited on Choices...And they can be DOGS...But worse is the "Mumbo Jumbo " Fees...What are they and why are they there ?........I can't seem to find the breakdown on the fees ? Hmmm.....

As I have said before, only 10% of my Invested assets are in a 401K plan..
But I have been able to shift things around and get 11% to 12% out of it..
Well, the last 9 months or so...My Choices suck, but I work with what they give me..

Greg, 5% over 5 years ? I would lose it, and the people who are losing money in their plans ? Time to change investments.

But I gotta watch it..Because my 401K is in Mutual Funds and I am ready to change it around if I need to..

I could have been adding a lot more to the 401K the last ten years, but I put the other 90% in Schwab over time..

But damn do I love making money...My Wife is hooked too..I just gotta get her more hooKed on racing and I got it made.

I love this Thread

EDIT....PLEASE remember that you must be investing money you do not need for a LONG time... If we do take a HIT or a correction, you gotta be ready to just let it ride...And your Blend better be so you can sleep at Night.

I have been known to play with Fire, but I am doing it with money I don't need right away. Because the market will go up and sideways and down and up.. I just didn't want people to think it is all a smooth ride for me..It's not..

But I don't care because in the end, it is always for the better.

Soon to be crazy

Last edited by Bucketlist2012; 04-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
BTW -- ERIC!! I'm not picking on you.... or your post... just pointing out the poor performance -- and this is a listing of the "best". WOW! Horrendous...
No wonder people give up saving any money!!
Didn't take it that way at all Greg. I agree with you, I knew you would chime in and I posted the list to show what probably the best ones out there have done. That, and if you are in a 401k and have choices that are on the list you'd be better off picking those probably.

I may have mentioned this already in the past but if you happen to have money in a former employer's 401k plan still, you can do a trustee to trustee IRA conversion into somewhere like Schwab and invest it however you please. Only hitch is you can't do this if you are currently working for the plan sponsor.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

^^^^^^^

I think the main issue with Mutual Funds is that they are "restricted" generally to investing in their core stocks that the fund was set up for in the beginning. The problem with that is the market is cyclical in nature... and if the hot stock is Chipotle Mexican Grill -- and your mutual fund is into "financials" -- they can't buy it.

That -- and when you look at the top 10 holdings of a fund -- you think -- WOW! That's all good stuff... but when you look deeper -- it's the next 90 that are dragging 'em down. If you could just take your top funds -- and buy only the biggest holding in each one of them... you'd make money. Thus - self directed investing.

Check out Mutual Funds -- write down the top 2 names in each one -- and then look them up -- and their total return -- and my bet is you'd make money hand over fist. But buy the mutual fund -- and you're getting mediocre returns or negative returns. Sad.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Just so you guys know.... today I bought 400 shares of Apple (AAPL) and 1000 shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) two stocks I've been in and out of for a while now. I should have bought and held.... but WTF!

Just wanted to let you know because now they will both tank from here on out!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Just so you guys know.... today I bought 400 shares of Apple (AAPL) and 1000 shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) two stocks I've been in and out of for a while now. I should have bought and held.... but WTF!

Just wanted to let you know because now they will both tank from here on out!
I hope they don't tank, especially that fruit company.

As part of my annual financial plan review in January, I found out that our 401k plan through Schwab, now offers a PCRA account option. A Personal Choice Retirement Account (PCRA) is a self-directed brokerage account that supplements your retirement plan and enables you to contribute retirement plan savings into a wide range of investment choices, beyond the core investments (mutual funds). I opened my PCRA account in Jan and am starting to xfer funds into it. I believe the plans vary by employer, but this link will give you some more information on this potential option.

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/.../accounts/pcra

69 Camaro PT project- LS3/4L70e, Budnik's, Ridetech, Speedtech, Wilwood, DSE tubs, 4 link, shortened Moser 12 bolt- in progress