Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Oh..... FYI -- I held 4000 shares this morning when I BOUGHT another 1000 shares for a total of 5000.....

And when it splits I'll own 10,000

I consider this a small position ($ wise) and would load the boat if it paid a bigger dividend. But the way I invest - for every small paying dividend - I own a corresponding higher risk / higher paying dividend play. So it's about balance. I don't want too much 2.6% stuff -- because then I have to buy more 7% stuff... (which I just did but it's another apartment complex LLC that will pay 7.69% pre-tax)

This is one of those stocks that you own for "account protection" - so we'll now call this a "protector" instead of a steady eddy. It will give you peace of mind and protection on the downside when everything has gone to hell in a hand basket and will pay a "decent" dividend while you wait for things to turn around. At these prices it only pays 2.6%... but that's almost DOUBLE the rate of the 10year government bond - and probably safer!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

I just placed an order for 50 shares so when it splits I'll have 100 which is a 200% position gain so there!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
I looked at this one and should have said "near" historic.

Entry anytime between '62 and '95 or in '03 or '05 which is where it will be 7/27

Buy it now check back in 5 years is my rational with this one. I doubt Coke will go the way of Kodak.

Exactly my point...

Yeah there may have been a couple best / perfect entry points - but tell me in the future when those are going to be?

These stocks -- and for LONG TERM INVESTING -- you buy and start to collect the dividend. The earlier you buy - the more dividends you collect.

Either way - the day or week - or month after you buy - the stock will suck... and then you look at it and the SOB is up and you've gotten paid the whole time.

This is why I own MCD - KO - ED - JNJ - KMB. They're not sexy... but they keep me sleeping well and they pay me - and I check on them and damn if they're not gainers too (most of the time).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
I just placed an order for 50 shares so when it splits I'll have 100 which is a 200% position gain so there!
HAHAHAHAHA --- GOOD MAN!

Taking a page right out of your buddy Warren Buffets play book.

Somewhere it's in this thread where in the next couple years - his dividend is equal to his original investment... Boy, that would suck wouldn't it?

Call him and ask him when the right time to buy was...
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Just dumped a couple of loosers for a 115 share boost to my small KO position. .......... Executed the trade while drinking a coke!!! love the stuff.

Not sure if I mentioned this but my 18 year old daughter opened a Roth and seeded it with MCD. She's funny and been watching it, she is a total health nut, and I said everytime you see your step-sister with a mickey D bag thank her. Of course all in good fun they love being smart-alecs.

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

I got a letter in the mail, to vote for or against the stock split. Greg do you usually mail those things in? I didn't fill it out or vote.

I look forward to the split and more splits in the future. I own 81.5 shares of KO.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Call him and ask him when the right time to buy was...
That old fart probably would have told me '62.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
I got a letter in the mail, to vote for or against the stock split. Greg do you usually mail those things in? I didn't fill it out or vote.

I look forward to the split and more splits in the future. I own 81.5 shares of KO.

I never vote or bother to send in any of that stuff. Frankly -- the big institutions vote and control everything. If Warren Buffett votes for something - it matters - MY VOTE - Not so much.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie 67 View Post
Just dumped a couple of loosers for a 115 share boost to my small KO position. .......... Executed the trade while drinking a coke!!! love the stuff.

Not sure if I mentioned this but my 18 year old daughter opened a Roth and seeded it with MCD. She's funny and been watching it, she is a total health nut, and I said everytime you see your step-sister with a mickey D bag thank her. Of course all in good fun they love being smart-alecs.

That's funny!

The whole time I was in europe -- where EVERYBODY SMOKES -- and it was pissing my wife off (the smell etc)... I kept telling her... NO DEAR! that's the smell of MONEY! I'm hoping they're all smoking 3 packs a day because that's what's paying for our trip!

Took her awhile but she finally got it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM

Sweet! I own KO. That definitely makes up for my choice of OXY over Conoco Phillips when I missed out on that division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The whole time I was in europe -- where EVERYBODY SMOKES -- and it was pissing my wife off (the smell etc)... I kept telling her... NO DEAR! that's the smell of MONEY! I'm hoping they're all smoking 3 packs a day because that's what's paying for our trip!
I had a well I was doing some work on a couple months ago. I told the company man his well smelled like dog $hit because it really did small that way. He laughed, breathed in deeply, and said it smells like money to him.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims