Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM

Yes MoparCar, why is that?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

My guess as to why the Camaro platform is so popular among the pro-touring crowd goes back to the days of the Trans-Am series and the Penske/Donohue Camaro. When the 2nd gen cars came along, the Z-28 and Trans-Ams were terrific handling vehicles for their time and then the aftermarket people, led by Dick Guldstrand and Herb Adams, really started raising the level of what these cars were capable of through the 80's. Then Mr. Steilow, who took it to another level in the early 90's and has been building upon that ever since along with DSE and Hotchkis.
I like Mustangs but I don't know of any companies that were really pushing the handling envelope with them until the last 20 years or so.
Now that DSE has started focusing in them I'm willing to bet that will change a bit!

"Liquidating excess cash through the automotive hobby!"
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -George- View Post
Hello,

I have just looked through all the pro-touring car threads with photos/videos and majority of pro-touring cars are Camaros. Is there a reason for this?

I've seen track times/wins at goodguys and its all flooded with camaros. I dont get it.
They all rust a little quicker than the mustangs, and are just a little bit lighter.
The Mustang guys have to wait for their car to rust significantly, to shed that extra weight.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -George- View Post
Well thank you for the feedback. I usually like having something that is different. I did have a 68 Dodge Charger that I wanted to do big things with but after going for a ride in a Ferrari, I lost all interest in my dodge.

Car just felt like a boat inside, the ferrari was firm, low, felt like a go kart. Wasnt fast by any means (in terms of acceleration) but it felt like it was doing 200 in 2 seconds because of the tightness/small cabin space etc of the vehicle.

I wanted to go exotic (hence i started chasing a GT40 - Replica) but quickly found if I was to spend the money and headache trying to get one of those registered here in NSW, I would soon miss the whole muscle/beefy look my 'charger' gave. I knew I had to have something smaller, but I knew it had to be a muscle car. I contemplated a Chevy Chevelle, but that would feel near same as the Charger. It was the Camaro or Mustang that had the right 'size' cabin and with correct components, I believe, would feel tight like the F355 Ferrari I went for a ride in. It is also a muscle car. I know it may not be exactly like that as its not a 2 seater car but I did want some space for practicality as well. So it had to be a Camaro or Mustang. I know both are more common than the Dodge Charger by far, I also know neither 1 would feel identical to a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but to me the Mustang in this case was the 'lesser common' one between the Camaro and Mustang and also the size of Mustang/Camaro would achieve the Ferrari feel a lot more than a big dodge.

Just a quick question though, Does Australia have anything available in terms of Pro-Touring events such as everything I am interested in (goodguys etc) that all seems to be in the US. If I was to build a Lateral-G car, where could I use it besides open track days at a race course. Somewhere where at least other cars of the like would be there and it be a bit more on the 'lets see who wins' side rather than a fun day out where nobody is really racing anyone.
Here is something to keep in mind... not sure if you've come across this yet but AUS has in the last year or two started enforcing laws on the books that will not allow the import of modified vehicles. I've gone through this with a Aussie client that bought a pro-touring muscle car that needed some work and between the time he bought it and the time he was trying to get his import approval they would not let the car into the counry. You have to submit pics of the vehicle and apply for an approval # before shipping but they still have the right to turn you away on the dock in country and from what he's told me it is a complete roll of the dice. I'm told there are a few places in country that can build one for you but they are "Davey Jones." If I remember correctly you guys get hit with 25% duties on top of everything else bringing in parts to build a car in country. Completely assinine for a country that is the home of Summer Nats!