Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 PM

Heres what I really want to know in my opinion anyone can turn nuts and bolts but how many people actually did all the body work example new sheet metal quarters etc. Without having any prior experience because I'm getting dangerously close to this process and I'm debating whether to spend my years savings and have a professional do it or spend money on tools and products needed to do it myself.I mean is there ever a point where you just think to yourself man i wish i would have paid someone to do this? The one thing i dont want to do is try to tackle a job like this and end up with a car that is misaligned and be out thousands of dallars!

Texas A&M Alumni
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
Heres what I really want to know in my opinion anyone can turn nuts and bolts but how many people actually did all the body work example new sheet metal quarters etc. Without having any prior experience because I'm getting dangerously close to this process and I'm debating whether to spend my years savings and have a professional do it or spend money on tools and products needed to do it myself.I mean is there ever a point where you just think to yourself man i wish i would have paid someone to do this? The one thing i dont want to do is try to tackle a job like this and end up with a car that is misaligned and be out thousands of dallars!
I think that leads to questions of the level of perfection you desire. A person who has experience in a trade like bodywork and has the eye and talent is going to be able to do a better job than you can and in less time. The question becomes how "perfect" do you expect the car to be?

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
I think that leads to questions of the level of perfection you desire. A person who has experience in a trade like bodywork and has the eye and talent is going to be able to do a better job than you can and in less time. The question becomes how "perfect" do you expect the car to be?
Well I would want it to be damn near flawless I'm the kind of person that wants it to be right the first time because now that i start to think about it if you weld a panel just a hair off you can only grind so much to get it even or worse you think it's even then it gets painted and it sticks out like a sore thumb.but i do realize me being an amateur with body work it would not be perfect.i guess my question would be is it really worth it to buy the tools and learn to do it yourself? or is there to much risk involved? and is it really as hard as it looks to be?

Texas A&M Alumni
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM

I think it'd be worth it to buy the tools and do it yourself. Especially if you plan on doing more than one project in the future. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips and plenty of people on these forums that are more than willing to lend a hand or offer solid advice. I say buy the tools and go for it. Planning is everything.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
X2, it all depends on how perfect you want it and how much time you can dedicate to a project. You also have to know a little bit about yourself? Have you done anything in the past which would help you get a car together? I've painted a few cars, done some bodywork, and mechanical work. I'm not an expert, but I just don't have the cash to throw down on a custom build. My only choices are to do pretty much everything on my own (with the help of some good friends from time to time) or not have a classic car in my garage. I have found that some of the stuff I was nervous about like replacing quarter panels was not as technical as I thought. Lots of time and work, but it's getting there. I can accept that my car will never be as nice as some of the custom builders on here, but they do it for a living. When it's done, I can say, yes, I built that
Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
I did alot of the bodywork on mine, luckily I didn't need new quarters and stuff but I did all the rust repair and bondo work.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Talking Ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I've done about 65-70% of mine and climbing. (Time) Wouldn't have it any other way. Nobody has your taste. You need the skills and tools to build a really well put together car however. It does save a boat load of cash. I've probably saved $30,000-$40,000 in labor.

It is ridiculous how simple this photo appears and makes the car jump at you. As a photographer i can really appreciate this shot. Plus I love everything about this ride.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadden View Post
It is ridiculous how simple this photo appears and makes the car jump at you. As a photographer i can really appreciate this shot. Plus I love everything about this ride.
Very true. When I think of a black 69 this car always comes to mind.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Incredible picture! Amazing car!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Now I love Todd's car but I'm a little confused he said he did 65-70% of the work himself but didn't he send this car originally a green 69 to frank at prodigy customs to have the body and paint and the engine put in? now i could be wrong? and this is by no means a stab at you Todd because either way the cars bad ass i would just like to know what you personally have done to the car because I'm about to jump into my car and try to tackle the car work myself.

Texas A&M Alumni