Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Lol ... last Monday was $200 for 2 1/2 hours on 3.56 mile 19 turns, auto x is for imports!

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

I think autox is for events like goodguys, i.e. limited space, allows spectators a chance to see the cars as part of their entry into the show, allows rides for spectators, and more importantly it allows vendors to show their stuff to the public for hopefully future business.

It's fun, but it's very limiting for cars and drivers like you Mark. From what I've seen most cars that are fast on open track events do pretty well on the autocross also, but cars that are fast on the autocross are not always fast on the big course.

Cool car.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I always say to people -- there are two kinds of car guys... Greasers and waxers...
Now this quote I like!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
Well I did my first SCCA AutoX today in 15 years. It was just liked I remembered. Due to the fact I haven’t been to a Detroit Region SCCA AutoX in a long time I sent the “Director” of AutoXs an email as to what I should do. He said you HAVE to be there before 8:00 to get teched and the first car would be on track at 9:00. OK! I got up at 6:30 this morning got ready and hit the road in my car with visions of cones in my head. I got to the parking lot at 7:45 sharp to see 6 other cars in the parking lot? OK so now I’m here let’s get teched. Some old guy looked at my car for 30 seconds and put a green dot on the windshield and a sticker on my helmet. OK now it is 8:00 LET’s GO because I’m excited. Not so fast you need to go register. OK LET’s GO. I went over and stood in line. When I got to the front of the line the grumpy SCCA lady said I need to see your SCCA card. I said well I registered on line and I didn’t bring it with me. Well after some phone calls I got my number and I was READY to go. At 9:30 we got to walk the parking lot. We walked the lot until 11:00. Alright NOW I’M ready to go. “Not so fast you are in the second run group so you need to work the “Course” as a cone chaser”. OK LET’S GO. I stood in the middle of a parking lot in full sun for 2 ½ hours in 95 degree heat. So when I finished my worker session I got to RACE……I belted in my car sunscreen in my eyes and sweat beading up on my sunburned face. I lined up and launched my car I ran up through first gear….wait….I stayed in first gear for the whole lap. OK I still have visions of cones in my head and I think I can go a little faster. 38.6 seconds later I did go faster……Yeeeehaaaa.
So, for sweating my butt off I got 5 – 38 second laps in a parking lot in Detroit. So for my $25 entry fee I got 3.2 minutes of track time. Or it cost me $7.81 a minute for “track” time. I can go to my local track and run a track event for $200 for 4 – 20 minute sessions. So that is $2.50 dollars a minute for track time and I DON’T HAVE TO STAND IN THE SUN. Humm.. so Auto crossing is cheaper?

As I drove home past all the blight in Detroit with my A/C blowing ice cold on my sun burned face I had a chance to reflect on the day……I still think this sport of ours has a place in it for everyone. If you do something and you like it keep doing it. If you don’t then stop. We all got into this to have fun. I’m going to stick to open track events and the muscle car shoot outs and suck it up during the AutoXs.

I get it. I understand AutoXing. It is just not my cup of tea…..

Check out my fancy numbers.

This is a 100.000 plus dollars car with 8 dollar painters tape decals priceless
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Very true Mark. Great write up!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM

I think autoxing is like practicing kissing your cusin so when you get that date w/ cheerleader you are all ready to go.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 AM

I've never seen the numbers broken down like that Mark, well put. I haven't autocrossed for years, now (as soon as the car is ready) I am an instructor for a local open track group. Almost as much track time, but for free with a lunch thrown in! Yes, most of the track time is driven with one eye on the rear view mirror, but we usually get 2 12-15 minute "instructor sessions" that are wide open.

Autocrossing has it's place, that's where I started. But, once you get a taste of open track, it's hard to justify going back. For the competitive juices, I wonder how time trials compare?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 AM

First... lovely car, as are all the cars you have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
So for my $25 entry fee I got 3.2 minutes of track time. Or it cost me $7.81 a minute for “track” time. I can go to my local track and run a track event for $200 for 4 – 20 minute sessions. So that is $2.50 dollars a minute for track time and I DON’T HAVE TO STAND IN THE SUN. Humm.. so Auto crossing is cheaper?

As I drove home past all the blight in Detroit with my A/C blowing ice cold on my sun burned face I had a chance to reflect on the day……I still think this sport of ours has a place in it for everyone. If you do something and you like it keep doing it. If you don’t then stop. We all got into this to have fun. I’m going to stick to open track events and the muscle car shoot outs and suck it up during the AutoXs.
This is the same reason I dropped drag racing, $100k+ car and a handfull of passes.
I decided seat time is what I want and goin' round corners is even more fun.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Nice story.. How long was it before you started having visions of Wine and Cheese tasings with the Ferrari group? LOL

Just curious... what class did they put you in and what was the competition like? Im going to be AutoXing my car in the coming years and sometimes wonder exactly where they think our heavily modified street cars belong. Not that I plan to actually compete but...

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 AM

My local SCCA runs every other weekend just 10 miles from my house. The lack of track time and all the BS you mentioned is why I have only gone twice all year long.

I like to autocross when there is nothing else but the open track has won me over for the rest of my days.