Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2020, 08:07 PM

Default First gen Camaro subframe/suspension advice

Hello all looking for a little feedback here . Started my 68 Camaro project and keep going back and forth whether to use an aftermarket frame or a stock one . I currently have none . The car is going to mostly be a street driven car but if pushed I want it to be able to handle some track time maybe once a year . Trying to compare pricing of finding a stock frame and changing everything over with a rack vs buying a complete new subframe . Thanks I’m advance
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

If you’re looking to have a Rack & Pinion vs. steering box I think you’d be wise to go aftermarket. Yes, it will be more money, no doubt, but I don’t think any of the rack conversions for stock subframes are without serious compromises in fitment and geometry.

If you can swing the extra $, I’d do a Speedtech pro-touring subframe. DSE is also great, but adds a couple thousand at least. You’ll be well-served to pick your rear suspension now too, keeps everything playing nicely together and will help get the stance you’re looking for.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:37 PM

Hmmm. Don’t have an aftermarket sub-frame. I did go over the OEM extensively though. I had to. I think my 3rd gen Nova has the same front subframe as your Camaro. No rack and pinion for me. I did put in the DSE subframe connectors. I’m looking at a C5 front suspension and brake package from Classic Performance for roughly $2500. Steering and sway bar are another $1k-ish. So, it feels like I’ll be somewhere around $3500 + whatever I’ve missed. What’s a DSE subframe kit with Baer brakes cost anyways? I’d guess $9k - $10k? It seems like I’ve seen some others out there in the $7k range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM

Thanks guys I’m thinking speedtech or Alston . I know tci does some good sales so I’ll do some research but def gonna go aftermarket
Old 10-16-2020, 09:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There’s additional key factors that I didn’t list. Size of front tire you want to run is a big factor, maybe the biggest. At the end of the day, for a street car, there’s nothing wrong with updating your stock subframe with products from Ridetech, Speedtech, DSE, BMR, UMI, etc. But, as soon as you decide you HAVE to have R&P steering and/or big front tires, my opinion is you’re best going with an aftermarket frame.

For me, I came to the realization that turning these cars into a track car, while possible, is not particularly intelligent or for the faint of wallet. My car with its Lee Steering box and 245 front tires handles really well! BUT, it will get its ass kicked on a track by any car with an aftermarket frame and 315 front tires. Good thing I gave up on caring about that a long time ago. I’m happy with a street car that handles 5x better than it did stock. For those of us that have different goals, rock on, get that DSE, Speedtech Extreme or full frame aftermarket setup and go chase those lap times!

Last edit: if you have the money and don’t give a **** about lap times, you just want the coolest hot rod parts, go for it! This is a hobby and it’s supposed to be fun. “Need” doesn’t really apply to this hobby anyway!

Last edited by JKnight; 10-16-2020 at 10:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JKnight For This Useful Post:
camcojb (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie707 View Post
Hello all looking for a little feedback here . Started my 68 Camaro project and keep going back and forth whether to use an aftermarket frame or a stock one . I currently have none . The car is going to mostly be a street driven car but if pushed I want it to be able to handle some track time maybe once a year . Trying to compare pricing of finding a stock frame and changing everything over with a rack vs buying a complete new subframe . Thanks I’m advance
Well, I have seen people keeping their stock subframe but upgrading the upper& lower control arms (ridetech or speedtech) and use upgraded steering box.

I bought my 68 camaro and the previous owner put complete front and rear Speedtech Pro touring suspension. Unfortunately, the only rack& pinion that can be used with their pro touring subframe is Unisteer Rack & Pinion, which is known for leaking issues, and the thread engagement between inner &outer rods is very minimum.

I ordered a new rack & pinion from unisteer because the old was leaking. The new one started to leak and after so many email exchanges with them, they sent me a new rack. I installed the new rack, drove the car to the alignment shop. They noticed that the inner tie rods were loose. It might have been out of alignment causing issues with inner tie rods.

Had to order new inner tie rods from Unisteer.

To make a long story short, if you decide to go with aftermarket subframe and decide to get the Speedtech, go with their extreme subframe as it has got different type of Rack&Pinion.

Other subframe manufacturers such as Art Morrison also uses DSE rack&pinion, which is a top notch quality.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
The Following User Says Thank You to 72Z/28 For This Useful Post:
dhutton (10-17-2020)