Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2006, 07:19 PM

Default 1/12 Scale Scratch Built Street Rod

Nice to see a few familiar faces around here, Russel, Fredrick. Seeing that an Artwork forum has been added I'd love to take the time to post my current project.

I have been working on a 1/12 scratch built street rod of my own design. The design is based on a late 30's fat fendered Fords. The project started in 2003-2004 and has captured 3000+ Hours of design and 375+ Hours of fabrication on this version alone. (Four previous versions entered chassis fabrication before unforseen circumstances halted the development.)

This street rod is not just a model, but a prototype for the 1:1 version. Not only was this project a way of life but it became a part of my high school drafting and engineering classes. Before I continue, here are some pictures.

Front Lower Control Arm:
The front lower control arm was machined out of brass consisting of 8 different pieces. The shock fits in the middle of the control arm held in with a zero tolerance pin. Once chromed the pin will be hidden from sight, but with a light tap on the side the pin can be pulled out to remove the shock.

At the front of the control arm there is the lower half of the ball socket. This piece will be followed by the ball, and upper half of the ball socket to form a functional ball joint to allow for steering and suspension.