Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2022, 09:12 AM

Default Anyone ever go with Air Ride and then think, nah, this isn't for me?

I've been kicking around the idea of going with a RideTech air bag setup for about 10 years now on my LS3 powered 69 firebird: front/rear, 4-link, the works on my stock front sub-frame with sub-frame connectors. At about $10k-ish, this is a hard pill to swallow. I think is really the only way to get the ride height that I want (at least when parked): which is the front fender slighly over the wheel.

It seems that most people are happy with these setups, but I'm wondering if there are any outliers here who have done it but then went a different way.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:31 AM

I take off more airbags than I put on. Reasons for removal include but not limited to:

-Customer doesn't know how it works so car is eating tires, always sitting crooked, or rides terrible

-Leaks in system

-Something rubbed on a bag and it burst causing a pucker moment while driving

-Tired of the complexity

It is usually less expensive to install coilovers than to rework a botched install with subpar parts so that is what happens.

90% of the problems can be solved with a well thought out and executed installation along with an educated user that understands what is happening. You can skip the education if you spend the money for a very good control system that measures ride height and bag pressure so that all you have to worry about is pushing a button.

Support your local hot rod shop!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dontlifttoshift For This Useful Post:
camcojb (06-08-2022), DBasher (06-09-2022), jarhead (07-11-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
I take off more airbags than I put on. Reasons for removal include but not limited to:

-Customer doesn't know how it works so car is eating tires, always sitting crooked, or rides terrible

-Leaks in system

-Something rubbed on a bag and it burst causing a pucker moment while driving

-Tired of the complexity

It is usually less expensive to install coilovers than to rework a botched install with subpar parts so that is what happens.

90% of the problems can be solved with a well thought out and executed installation along with an educated user that understands what is happening. You can skip the education if you spend the money for a very good control system that measures ride height and bag pressure so that all you have to worry about is pushing a button.
Thanks for the info; I think by nature I'm exempt from most of those. I guess one can never completely be clear of something penetrating the bladder while driving down the road.

I've heard that air ride systems are more "bouncy" going down the road compared to a standard spring/shock setup. Is this generally true with an advanced air bag system?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMuseum View Post
Thanks for the info; I think by nature I'm exempt from most of those. I guess one can never completely be clear of something penetrating the bladder while driving down the road.

I've heard that air ride systems are more "bouncy" going down the road compared to a standard spring/shock setup. Is this generally true with an advanced air bag system?
They shouldn't be if properly set up. That includes shock valving, pressure settings, proper height AND bag type, etc.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:40 PM

Default Yes

Yes, I hated it for a bit. I installed an Accuair Endo CVT system with Ridetech bags and adjustable shocks on a 70 El Camino. The amount of trimming to the front spring pocket is a lot, snipping up the inner fenders to fit around the shocks is a pain. Running air lines and wiring to all 4 corners is a little tough to make tidy. Out of nowhere CVT failed and Accuair went tits up. Sucked. I have since did a body off resto on the car and was able to tidy everything up and swapped the compressor in the tank to dual externals. I like it now. The ride is excellent and you can drive and park pretty low. Having the ability to lift the nose at will to avoid dragging is really good. Good thing to have around the shop is some Schrader valves to manually fill the bags if the car is in op. Aired out with no compressor and that thing isn’t moving. Also be aware of tire to fender clearance and anything under the car because it will leak down and touch it. I think everything looks good low.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:36 PM

No problems here, other than if it sits over a month it might leak down a little.

This is on a 67 Chevelle.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:38 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

My air ride project isn't driving yet so I can't comment on the ride part, but I can add a few things... I'm running the Ridetech stuff, compressor, controller, bags, and adjustable shocks. I also upgraded to the height position sensors at all four corners.

It's not hard to figure the system out but there is no denying it is a lot of stuff. Where you package the tank and compressors, air lines to each corner, wiring to each corner...you wind up with a bunch of potential failure points. Its 100% how much effort you put into the install.

I also built bump stops into the frame on mine so that even when it's completely aired out (or I have a bag/line failure) the vehicle still rolls and I can ease off the road or on to a trailer/wrecker. Of course that means my project won't sit all the way on the ground at shows but thats a trade off I was willing to accept over being stranded.

Mine isn't even on the road yet and I'm not sure I would do it again... just strictly because of the complexity of the system.

Jeff-
camcojb (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 03:03 PM

Great info. Definitely something to think about with the additional complexity and failure points.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataves1 View Post
Yes, I hated it for a bit. I installed an Accuair Endo CVT system with Ridetech bags and adjustable shocks on a 70 El Camino. The amount of trimming to the front spring pocket is a lot, snipping up the inner fenders to fit around the shocks is a pain. Running air lines and wiring to all 4 corners is a little tough to make tidy. Out of nowhere CVT failed and Accuair went tits up. Sucked. I have since did a body off resto on the car and was able to tidy everything up and swapped the compressor in the tank to dual externals. I like it now. The ride is excellent and you can drive and park pretty low. Having the ability to lift the nose at will to avoid dragging is really good. Good thing to have around the shop is some Schrader valves to manually fill the bags if the car is in op. Aired out with no compressor and that thing isn’t moving. Also be aware of tire to fender clearance and anything under the car because it will leak down and touch it. I think everything looks good low.
I see you're a fellow firebird owner. Do you have any photos of it lowered / standard ride height, etc?
Old 06-09-2022, 04:59 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I don't have air ride, but I have a buddy who owns a shop and he said without a doubt that INSTALLATION is the key to a likeable/enjoyable system. He said if you don't install it correctly with quality lines, fittings, etc...you'll hate it and think it's the system. He further states that most people try and cheap out on the install and that's where they wind up with a shoddy system. Cheap air bags, lines, fittings and other parts coupled with a crappy, poor installation job is a nightmare waiting to happen.