...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM
johnnymac46's Avatar
johnnymac46 johnnymac46 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Its been a while, and apparently I forgot to update right before I left home.

I'm over here enjoying the Mountains and dessert good ole AFG. Not a lot going on. I've been looking at lots of parts for both my Camaro and my new truck. I cant decide if I want to mod my truck out then go back to the camaro or finish the camaro.

Things Im working on getting before I get home are LS3 and an Art Morrison Front clip to match my rear. If I can get that stuff ordered and have it waiting. I may make it on the road by spring of 2013 ( may seem a long ways down the road but Im not home til Oct 12).

As for body work that I have left:
-quarters
-tailpan
-fenders
-doors

The doors need to be reskinned, Fenders will probably get tossed I dont have the tools or patience to mess with them.

I still need the engine and trans which are the last real big things I need to buy. I have the suspension but I think Im going to end up selling it and running full AME before Im done.

I've gone back and forth on whether to keep my current and leave the front clip for a later upgrade. i cant decide anyone care to help? I have a while to make this decision.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Spiffav8's Avatar
Spiffav8 Spiffav8 is offline
Lateral-g Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 4,717
Thanks: 554
Thanked 444 Times in 209 Posts
Default

It has been awhile since you last posted....and now we know why.

Like you I'd love to upgrade a few things on my truck to, but I'm staying the course and putting my limited extra funds towards the Camaro. Figure my car will be done sooner that way and that will be a lot more fun than my truck. You should probably update the speakers in your truck though.
__________________
Curtis
Pilots: We're not better than you, just way cooler.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:57 AM
72Z/28's Avatar
72Z/28 72Z/28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 363
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac46 View Post
I removed the floorpan spot welds and started on the passenger toe board



Nice progress.
Just wondering about the firewall fill plate shown here, did you go with DSE fill plate to smooth the firewall or you fabricated plate by yourself?

Is the fill plate welded on both sides or from inside only?
__________________
72 Camaro RS:SOLD
68 Camaro:
LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Beach Cruiser's Avatar
Beach Cruiser Beach Cruiser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 597
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Forget the truck! Go with the AME, and an LS crate motor complete with harness. It's taken me 5 years to replicate it because I have no money, I wish I could be in the order a part and bolt it on club!
__________________
No Shop, No Money, No Time.... No problem!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
johnnymac46's Avatar
johnnymac46 johnnymac46 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
It has been awhile since you last posted....and now we know why.

Like you I'd love to upgrade a few things on my truck to, but I'm staying the course and putting my limited extra funds towards the Camaro. Figure my car will be done sooner that way and that will be a lot more fun than my truck. You should probably update the speakers in your truck though.
Speakers are a definite upgrade that may happen before I get home, and headers, cold air intake and an exhaust. Outside of that I dont think im going to do much.

As for the car I have decided on the AME front clip first, followed by an LS3 I may give Pick-a-part a call and have them keep an eye out for a LS6/6 speed set up for me.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
johnnymac46's Avatar
johnnymac46 johnnymac46 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
Nice progress.
Just wondering about the firewall fill plate shown here, did you go with DSE fill plate to smooth the firewall or you fabricated plate by yourself?

Is the fill plate welded on both sides or from inside only?
I went with the DSE plate, its a nice piece, I cut out the inside to avoid rattling, then welded 90% from the outside and the rest from the inside in the difficult areas.

For some reason the computers over here wont load the pics in the forums, which takes half the fun out of LG but I think I know what you are looking at in those pics.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
johnnymac46's Avatar
johnnymac46 johnnymac46 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
Forget the truck! Go with the AME, and an LS crate motor complete with harness. It's taken me 5 years to replicate it because I have no money, I wish I could be in the order a part and bolt it on club!
The only part with the order and bolt club is it takes forever to get the funds to Order, then I have to wait til Im home to Bolt lol. I have a solid 8 more months til I can start wrenching on my car again. I've been making up for it by keeping our vehicles here running.

Something about this country makes cars run in Dog years. 1 year here is 7 years for a car. Maybe its the Rocks/Moon dust combination.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Spiffav8's Avatar
Spiffav8 Spiffav8 is offline
Lateral-g Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 4,717
Thanks: 554
Thanked 444 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac46 View Post
Speakers are a definite upgrade that may happen before I get home, and headers, cold air intake and an exhaust. Outside of that I dont think im going to do much.

As for the car I have decided on the AME front clip first, followed by an LS3 I may give Pick-a-part a call and have them keep an eye out for a LS6/6 speed set up for me.
Glad to hear you're going for the AME front clip fist and then an LS3. Best advice I ever received was to build from the ground up.

Hope the next few months are like dog years for you and pass quickly! Hey...we need to see some updated build pics.

__________________
Curtis
Pilots: We're not better than you, just way cooler.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
johnnymac46's Avatar
johnnymac46 johnnymac46 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 313
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Glad to hear you're going for the AME front clip fist and then an LS3. Best advice I ever received was to build from the ground up.

Hope the next few months are like dog years for you and pass quickly! Hey...we need to see some updated build pics.

Im talking with one of the guys at AME now, getting it going, Im trying to figure out how long I need to order it so it is at my house a couple days after I get home.

As for the next couple of months going fast....anyone who as been deployed knows how that can go.

I just read your signature, it reminded me of Dodgeball, "here at global gym we're better than you and we know it"
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Spiffav8's Avatar
Spiffav8 Spiffav8 is offline
Lateral-g Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 4,717
Thanks: 554
Thanked 444 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac46 View Post
Im talking with one of the guys at AME now, getting it going, Im trying to figure out how long I need to order it so it is at my house a couple days after I get home.

As for the next couple of months going fast....anyone who as been deployed knows how that can go.

I just read your signature, it reminded me of Dodgeball, "here at global gym we're better than you and we know it"
Having the AME front clip ready to go when you get home would be a great way to decompress and start to feel human again. That and I'm betting you would get a lot done in a short amount of time.

I'm sure the time drags over there. Ground Hog day kind of thing. Good thing is that it sounds like you have plenty of equipment to work on which will sharpen your skills. That or make you really inventive!

I could use a Global Gym t-shirt.
__________________
Curtis
Pilots: We're not better than you, just way cooler.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net