Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

"Awesomeness doesn't just happen" ...Gwen Weld

BTW drool worthy brakes Mark.

Skip
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Wow serious looking brakes! Its looking great Mark.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Always enjoy your builds

Since you brought up the brakes...are you using the C5/C6 abs unit with calipers sized to match the OEM stuff? Did you have to reprogram the module or can you run it as is?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post

BTW drool worthy brakes Mark.
At 18K, per set they should be. The car, the builder, the knowledge, the craftsmanship and Mark are simply amazing.

Last edited by garickman; 07-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garickman View Post
At 18K, per set they should be. The car, the builder, the knowledge, the craftsmanship and Mark are simply amazing.
Damn....I thought they were $8k a set...not $18.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM

HOLLY COW BATMAN 18K??? And I'm looking at $800 and thinking that's a lot for brakes!

Mark car is looking great

Paul and Joe nice work I see you are using Glasurit is it the 55 line or 90?

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Alley View Post
car is looking great cant wait to see it painted. your paint work looks incredible
Thanks Matt, It's been great to follow behind you after your metal work. Your metal work is beautiful. It without question has helped us move ahead faster than the last car we did for Mark. Joe
Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
HOLLY COW BATMAN 18K??? And I'm looking at $800 and thinking that's a lot for brakes!

Mark car is looking great

Paul and Joe nice work I see you are using Glasurit is it the 55 line or 90?
Rick, yes we just put in 55 line but they were pushing the 90 line though. I was close to doing 90/onyx but after talking about and alot of thought we are going to stick with solvent for now. I was able to talk with Mike Ring and my close friend who has been using 90/onyx for close to 3 years and we feel the 55 line is best for us at this time. The glasurit rep. has been great to me over years and they'll put 90/onyx in at no charge when the time comes if they regulate our area to use water. Those brakes look even better in person. Joe
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
Since you brought up the brakes...are you using the C5/C6 abs unit with calipers sized to match the OEM stuff? Did you have to reprogram the module or can you run it as is?
I'm using a C-6 Corvette Z06 ABS module pre-2008. The trick is the factory ABS wheel speed sensors on all four corners and tricking the ABS module to think it is still in a 2007 Corvette and it still connected to all it correct sensors. If you don't get all the sensor correct it will still work but works in a default cal that has lower ABS efficiency. If you don't get the wheel speed sensors and wiring correct the ABS will fault out at very inopportune times. The wheel speed signal error is a hard fault - the system stops working. This is the problem I had 2 years ago. Not all ABS systems and control strategies are created equal. Like the old debate on EFI on if Speed Density, Alpha-N or MAF systems were better. There are different ABS control strategies. So with all that said I mean if you get a 2002 Camaro 3 channel ABS system to work it will not be as good as a C-6 Corvette system. If you just want to keep from locking a tire that is easy. If you want to optimize stopping distance on split Mu (Dry concrete and Ice) that is harder.

Note the new gun drilled (weight savings) Strange axles, revised axle end and new spacers. The steel and aluminum spacers were machined by my buddy Ken Tibor.

Because the production ZR-1 SKF bearings are active wheel sensor I had SKF make me the SKF bearing with passive wheel speed sensors to work with the 2007 Delphi ABS module.

After a lot of debate with Brembo I chose to use the GTR Calipers over the GT Calipers. We had a lot of discussions like "How much HP? We’ll need to call back to Italy and get back to you"

So I went with Brembo's recommendation. Those brakes are not for the weak of heart or wallet. Due to my short development time line I don't have time to do a lot of experimentation with the brakes.

I have worked with the Brembo guys a bunch on other projects and I think this may be a bit over kill but they will work. I did size the system to work with the Delphi ABS system. The brakes on Red Devil worked very well and I just wanted to tweak the system a little to make it better.

With a lot of due care you can get ABS to work on an old hot rod. You just need to keep it happy with the correct sensors to make it work. I want to keep my ABS set up my competitive advantage for a while. Bosch does sell an aftermarket ABS system that is laptop programmable. So it is accessible technology to anyone with the budget or time to sort it out. I look at ABS, Stability Control and Performance Traction Management as the next thing for the aftermarket to crack into. Like EFI was 25 years ago only a few people could do it and few aftermarket company’s make systems and they were expensive. Now EFI is main stream and very easy to do. So I see chassis controls going that way in a few years.

Hey if it was easy everyone would be doing it....

If I can get the car out of paint jail I can start putting it together. (Paul and Joe are doing a great job) You can’t rush this quality of a paint job.

Mark
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM

^^ Thank you for bringing the tech Mark. Been waiting/wanting to see it on this build....