Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Wilwood Aero 6 users opinions plz

Hi everyone!
I'm in build process on a 69 Cougar track car, and have been looking at running Wilwood's Aero 6 calipers and their Spec 37 rotor on the front. I did a brief search on the forum and found people who say they like them but not a whole lot of detail. Seems like most I found are running in them in AutoX not road course, too.

Car is tube framed, 335's all around, should be around 600whp and 3000lbs (fingers crossed). Its going to be track only so aggressive pad compounds don't scare me.

I have a friend who I thought was very happy with his Aero 6's on his 69 Camaro track/street car which is a little heavier but similar power, until speaking with him again the other day. Said he was having problems cooking rotors.

Thought I'd ask y'all for some feedback! Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiCat69 View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm in build process on a 69 Cougar track car, and have been looking at running Wilwood's Aero 6 calipers and their Spec 37 rotor on the front. I did a brief search on the forum and found people who say they like them but not a whole lot of detail. Seems like most I found are running in them in AutoX not road course, too.

Car is tube framed, 335's all around, should be around 600whp and 3000lbs (fingers crossed). Its going to be track only so aggressive pad compounds don't scare me.

I have a friend who I thought was very happy with his Aero 6's on his 69 Camaro track/street car which is a little heavier but similar power, until speaking with him again the other day. Said he was having problems cooking rotors.

Thought I'd ask y'all for some feedback! Thanks in advance!!
Make sure to get the 5.40’s, assuming you’re building a manual set up
Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Drop Top View Post
Make sure to get the 5.40’s, assuming you’re building a manual set up
Yes, manual setup using a Tilton 600 series overhung pedal set. Master cylinder sizes TBD as I don’t have a final weight yet. The 5.40 piston area is indeed what I had been planning on.

My other option as far as calipers go, is a radial Brembo 4-piston from a 3rd gen viper...basically an F40 caliper from what I’ve been told. I was planning on having caliper brackets made, but since there is a caliper bracket set already available for my spindles I really wanted to explore the option of the Aero6 calipers.

Have you run these calipers?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Mike Maier runs these on Old Blue and they work well. New blue also has a set. Lots of guys run them for Optima events and they take a beating on the road course and speed stop. I’ll be running them soon when I upgrade my brakes.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the feedback! Maier’s cars are pretty serious. Should be pretty close to capability of his Old Blue...I won’t be but the car should be haha! If they hold up to that thing then they should be good to go.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM

I've installed a couple sets of the Aero6’s now on friend's cars and have a set waiting to go on my own car. One set I installed is on a track car with 315/335 Hoosiers with the thermlock pistons and they're holding up well. The Aero6 is much stiffer than the old W6A and has more even pad wear and much better pedal feel as a result. The only real drawback compared to the old W6A is that the integral bridge on the aero caliper means you have to pull the caliper to swap pads; with the old W6A you could pull the pins and swap pads from the top.

I'm still hoping Wilwood will make some Aero4 calipers for the rear with 4x 1.38" pistons to be a good bias match for the 5.40" front Aero6's without having to resort to staggered diameter master cylinders as not everyone has that option. Until they do I'll stick with the 4x 1.38" piston FNSL4R's in the rear which are a great bias match for the 5.40" Aero 6's and allow use with a “normal” tandem-style master cylinder.