Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

And the good news is down the road if you change your mind on the ecu, it's a very easy swap between HP and Dominator. Simple check box on the tune and the two plugs connect the same way and just more expansion slots.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
And the good news is down the road if you change your mind on the ecu, it's a very easy swap between HP and Dominator. Simple check box on the tune and the two plugs connect the same way and just more expansion slots.

This is very good to know, as I just upgraded from the FAST 2.0 to Holley HP with crank trigger and MPI on my Shafiroff 540 Ultra Street. Should get dyno tuned in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Imo the Gen 7 was one of the best "driving" systems for a very long time.

Check out the AEM, really cutting edge stuff. Super fast processor (400mips), loads of capability and easy setup and tuning. They'll be introducing the new lower priced 308 very shortly. It has virtually everything the 508 does except it's void of the DBW and VVC. Plus it'll accommodate dual channel O2's. Sounds like that would be better for your application anyway.
Their software and support is very good as well. I personally have had some issues with trying to get someone on the phone at Holley, and email requests have normally taken a couple of days.

But whatever you do, take your time to check them all out thoroughly. Download their respective software and check it out for yourself. That will tell you a lot about the system and it's capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by supremeefi; 09-16-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info on AEM. I found the announcement on their website. I prefer having a built in wideband controller so the more expensive 508 would be the best option for me. I like that it can do on the fly map switching (I have an EFI motorcycle that could do that back in 2002) but with a harness it's a bit more than a Holley HP set-up. The map switching feature might be a reason to choose it as long as the hardware is robust.
I know AEM has been a big player in the import market and it looks like they are trying to get some volume from the V8 crowd now. I saw a few of the recent magazine articles (seems more like advertising though) and really wanted to get a more unbiased view but there is very little out there. Your idea to download the software from the various vendors and play with it is a great idea.

I agree that the Gen 7 EFI worked pretty well once you figured it out - it's just the documentation you could get as a non-installation center user was very weak. Accel seemed to be targeting the hotrodders that did not want to do work themselves and that was frustrating when I was helping a friend tune his. I don't think they helped themselves with their business approach.

Thanks
1970 1/2 Z28 project car

Last edited by funcars; 09-18-2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: duplicated a sentence, looked up latest AEM info
Old 09-19-2016, 04:23 PM

Accel supported their dealers first, not the privateer. The problem was too many of their "dealers" had no business selling EFI systems. That was, and still is an industry problem.
I know someone who recently put the Infinity 508 on his 8 stack 447 SBC. 8 stacks can be very finicky but this runs really really well. Let me know if you'd like to get in touch with him. He'd give you the honest scoop about the tuning and it's features and benefits.

Last edited by supremeefi; 09-19-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM

Hi Mark,
I sent you an e-mail with my contact info.
Thanks
1970 1/2 Z28 project car
Old 10-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I can't speak first hand about the AEM, but I do own a Holley Dominator. I have found it very easy to use and really love the versatility. I run it on a Gen 4 LS engine with a Holley HiRam intake and dual DBW throttle bodies. Sort of made to look like an old school dual quad set-up. I don't know if AEM can support dual DBW TBs...

I also love the PWM fan control and the versatility of all the I/Os that the Dominator offers.

I've heard that Holley tech support can be sketchy, but there is an excellent support forum with the user community that is eager to help. I also find that if you can find 3-4 buddies that also run a system, then it gets easier helping each other out.

Andrew
Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
We've had lots of silly issues with the newer FAST stuff and some issues with the other brands, too. Have you looked into BigStuff3? He's the author behind the early ACCEL units and the SpeedPro units/early FAST boxes.

i'm also really happy with the tunability of the factory GM units using the HPTuners platform, but they don't have auxilary inputs for extra data aquisition obviously.
I should add that the HPTuners platform has custom Operating Systems available which allow Boost Enrichment, and tunability for other power adders (while still using an OEM ECU). But this is obviously a solution for the factory EFI GM engines 97 and newer.
X2 on the BS3 reference.

Big Stuff 3 efi is used by many of the top drag racers in the country. BS3 has been around a while and is also one of the first aftermarket efi systems that has been able to control late model GM electronic transmissions. For any of you who want to read a little bit about John Meaney of Big Stuff 3, check the following article.

Aftermarket EFI Systems - Tech - Mr. EFI
John Meaney And The Birth Of Aftermarket Engine Control
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0704gm-mr-efi/
Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Sorry, but BS3 is so 2001. That box is seriously outdated.

Andrew
Old 12-27-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Sorry, but BS3 is so 2001. That box is seriously outdated.

Andrew
The software was just updated this year for BS3 users and, again, BS3 has been able to control late model GM transmissions many years. It wasn't until about 5 years ago, that you could get a Holley Dominator which is able to do that. 2001 puts BS3 a good 10 years ahead of what Holley Dominator systems have just been able to match.

Megasquirt just released MS3-Pro Ultimate at PRI a few weeks ago. Holley efi must be outdated and so 2011 now