Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2021, 12:33 PM

Default LS stalls when AC turns on

Wondering if anybody has come across this issue. Did an LS swap on my 69 camaro and when I kick the Vintage Air AC on the idle doesn’t bump up and it stalls. Any tips that can remedy this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Old 06-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aany001 View Post
Wondering if anybody has come across this issue. Did an LS swap on my 69 camaro and when I kick the Vintage Air AC on the idle doesn’t bump up and it stalls. Any tips that can remedy this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Seems like the IAC is either improperly set so it's so far open just to hold a normal idle there's nothing left when you add the load with A/C. Or it isn't working at all. Need to see what the IAC counts are at idle with no A/C and fully warmed up. You want the IAC to be mostly closed down at a warm idle so it can open further and bump the idle speed when the engine gets a load like A/C. Usually and IAC count of 20-40 at a warm idle and no load is in the range. If the IAC is at 160+ it's pretty much all open and can't do anything.

If it's too high you will have to bump the idle screw on the throttle body until you can maintain a hot idle desired speed, and the IAC can close down so it'll actually function when you need it. If it's DBW then ignore everything I just typed lol.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 06-08-2021, 03:24 PM

The bump up has to be tuned into the ecu, especially if its not a factory ecu. They sometimes provide a pigtail, but its not always turned on in the ecu. You can also over charge the ac system and put enough load on the compressor to kill the motor as well. Also make sure you have a large enough alternator to handle the amp spike when the fans kick on. That can also cause accessory load issues as several of the front drive kits out there only come with 140 amp alternator or less and that won't cut it.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
The bump up has to be tuned into the ecu, especially if its not a factory ecu. They sometimes provide a pigtail, but its not always turned on in the ecu. You can also over charge the ac system and put enough load on the compressor to kill the motor as well. Also make sure you have a large enough alternator to handle the amp spike when the fans kick on. That can also cause accessory load issues as several of the front drive kits out there only come with 140 amp alternator or less and that won't cut it.
Mike Im gonna check the pressures for sure..... good point! Also gonna load test my alternator and see whats going on? Im running a factory corvette alternator as well as the accesory drive.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
Seems like the IAC is either improperly set so it's so far open just to hold a normal idle there's nothing left when you add the load with A/C. Or it isn't working at all. Need to see what the IAC counts are at idle with no A/C and fully warmed up. You want the IAC to be mostly closed down at a warm idle so it can open further and bump the idle speed when the engine gets a load like A/C. Usually and IAC count of 20-40 at a warm idle and no load is in the range. If the IAC is at 160+ it's pretty much all open and can't do anything.

If it's too high you will have to bump the idle screw on the throttle body until you can maintain a hot idle desired speed, and the IAC can close down so it'll actually function when you need it. If it's DBW then ignore everything I just typed lol.
Jody Im gonna grab my scanner and check when i get home and see what the IAC is doing. OH and yes its a drive by cable.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2021, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aany001 View Post
Thanks
Steve
Steve please let us know once you fix this issue.
I am having exact set up as yours with OEM PCM and Cammed LS6.
The engine stalls and dies if I rev it when the vintage air AC is on. This happens when the AC clutch is engaged.

The rpm drops below the desired rpm and stalls. In fact, sometimes when letting off the throttle and pressing the clutch to come to a stop, the rpm drops and engine dies even before coming to a dead stop
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
The engine stalls and dies if I rev it when the vintage air AC is on. This happens when the AC clutch is engaged.

The rpm drops below the desired rpm and stalls. In fact, sometimes when letting off the throttle and pressing the clutch to come to a stop, the rpm drops and engine dies even before coming to a dead stop
Yes for sure I will post my results. So far I have swapped out my corvette alternator for a 2008 I believe Chevy equinox 140 amp alternator but haven’t checked my IAC counts as my scanner won’t do that. Gonna pick up a new scanner and see what happens. I will post my results soon. Thanks everyone
🍻
Old 06-21-2021, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post

If the IAC settings and base idle screw are adjusted correctly I would look at the Throttle follower tables. I've had this issue myself and adjusting the throttle follower tables allowed me to slow down the rate the throttle drops and eliminate the overshoot on a snap closing of the throttle blades.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 06-21-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
If the IAC settings and base idle screw are adjusted correctly I would look at the Throttle follower tables. I've had this issue myself and adjusting the throttle follower tables allowed me to slow down the rate the throttle drops and eliminate the overshoot on a snap closing of the throttle blades.
Thanks Jody for the input.

My IAC counts at operating temperature are around 59 or so. I have read the recommended counts for cammed engines should be between 40-60, so I am within range I guess.

I have looked at the throttle follower decay/ delay rates, and the column axis was for vehicle speed not rpm.

So I was not sure what needs to be adjusted. Because the issue I am having is at idle and while driving.

I have seen some videos in youtube where they recommend to increase the timing from 0 to 400 rpm at spark tables( in park & drive) to be at 30 degrees as this would work as stall saver.

I have just changed the timing but need to write the changes into my pcm and see how it goes
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
The Following User Says Thank You to 72Z/28 For This Useful Post:
kwhizz (06-23-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 04:00 PM

Did you ever resolve this?

What scanner/software package are you using?

I have a 72 el camino with a 2002 5.3L from a chevy Silverado. It has a 1998 camaro cam and intake manifold with 2002 LS6 camaro injectors. It sometimes stalls when coming to a stop.

thanks