Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Tightening up the Rear Bumper on a 68 Camaro

Does anyone have any insight (pictures, procedures, recommendations, etc.) for tightening up the fitment of the rear bumper on a 68 Camaro?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM

x2. definitely interested in this and im sure there are many others
Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=21229
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshftr View Post
Yeah. I've seen this one before. I love the look but was hoping to get some info and tips on how it's done. It appears that the bumper is mounted a little higher than stock and sectioned on the ends to fit snugly. I suppose that the bumper brackets were sectioned to allow the whole bumper to move closer to the body. What was the method for the fit and clearance? Was metal added and ground for a consistent gap?

What about the bottom of the bumper. I've always wondered why GM left such a gap between the bottom of the bumper and the body. Has anyone seen pictures of this gap being filled?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM

As usual, there is more than one way to do a project such as this. This was my way.
I started with two good straight bumpers. I cut the upper section off of one of them, rotated it 180*, shaped it to fit the bottom of the second bumper and welded it into place. This filled in the large gap between the underside of the bumper and the body. The bumper was then cut in half and a piece was removed and then the two halves were welded back together. This does eliminate the license plate depression and the license plate light mount but, in my case, it didn't matter as I recessed the plate into the body. The ends of the bumper were modified to fill in the gap that remained on the underside. Even though the metal is thicker than sheet metal, care still has to be taken when welding, only a little at a time to prevent distortion. I welded mine from both sides of the bumper. Maybe this wasn't necessary but I didn't want the seams to re-appear after it was chromed. The brackets were sectioned/modified and welded to the bumber so the bolt holes could be filled for that shaved look. Maybe the pics can show you better than I described it. Best thing about this project is you can do it and not do any damage to your car. Once the custom bumper is done, simply swap it out. Good Luck.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 PM

Thumbs up

Wow. That looks great. Do you have any pictures of it mounted on the car? Great job.