Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 PM

In Germany we have TÜV. It is all so strict and so buerocratic. They all suck. But we have no chance. Once this is installed they take it and test it. And when they stamp it and make it legal it is legal and the liability is off our shoulders. At the same time I need to follow rules, regulations and pass their tests. And even if there is a better system that works better and is more secure, as long Not approved for street use or has been installed and used in legal cars - no chance - especially on systems that have a huge red sign that warns any idiot from the authorities that it is for race use only. Mark has a system that works with the OEM stuff. All OEM. all like this been installed into a serial car. This to be installed in our project would be the BEST!!

@beach cruiser, so you have a finished and working ABS system in your ride, too? If yes pm me. We should not destroy this amazing post here!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 PM

Monstereddie,

See my new post in the Brakes section:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...8&postcount=24

It may be just the right answer for you.

Scott
Old 01-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Well === I have no business speaking for Mark........ but it has to be said because it is complicated and can easily be made into a mess... These are public forums and we can only imagine the midnight engineering that could take place with barely enough info.

and as a result and i could be mistaken, but i think a Bosch system was incorporated into jackass 2.0?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
Yeah, I'm an Engineer too and speak the language, I'm just trying not to reinvent the wheel. Maybe Mark is just holding a grudge because our FSAE car beat his FSAE car 27 years ago?
Well I was going to help you but now that you said you beat me in FSAE...

The number one question I always get asked is how can I do ABS on my car?

Well the simple answer is once you have good wheel speed sensor buy the Bosch M4 system.

Or COMPLETELY copy the Corvette system.

Greg Weld made a very good point. I do not want to be liable for what someone does with their hot rod. I have seen some of the cars out there and the crappy wiring jobs. Some cars are well done but most are not.

Also, most time when I answer a question people come back with two more, then I answer those two guestions, then I get four. No good dead goes unpunished.

Yes, I sorted it out using a C6 Corvette system with out a lot of the sensors or a body control module. Do I want to let that calibration out. NO. It has no way to set a light if the system faults out. When I used it in 2010 my ABS faulted at OUSCI on the road course and I locked a front tire. I was ready for it and reverted back to a passive system. No issue. I used a Tech 2 reset the ECBM and went on my was to win the event... Unlike FSAE....

People on this form my think that is selfish. Well every car out there is a snowflake. I don't have the time or energy to answer all the off the wall questions. Also the system is one off, not validated and has no safety check function warning light. That message comes through the the BCM (Body Control Module).

I have a lot of experience driving GM cars at the race track to fine faults in ABS system. When the ABS faults out it can be very dangerous. Ask Randy Johnson about his crash when his faulted out. I have flat spotted tires and almost crashed a dozen cars looking for issues. Your average guy might not be as experienced as me. Heck Danny Popp went off track at this years OUSCI because his ABS faulted out due to low voltage and he had a warning light.

Most older OE ABS modules have a back up calibration that will work without all the sensors. It is chunky and will keep the car from locking up the brakes. The tires needs to be within 3% of the stock diameters. I do not recommend just trying it. Look at all the guys complaining about their C5 Corvette ABS systems not working well.

If you use the C5 guys as a test case. Guys change tires, wheels, brake rotors, brake calipers and pads and wonder why their ABS is not working. So let's use an engine anology.... I have a LS6 and change it to a 427 with big cam and heads and you want it to work with a stock engine cal. How do you think it will work?

Right now to the best of my knowledge the best system to use is the Bosch M4 system. GM, Ford, BMW, Porsche..... All the OE make millions of ABS systems every year. We make it work. Copy the complete ABS system and electrical architecture and it should work. This will not be easy, but shops like the Ring Brothers just did it on that Caddy.

Mark Stielow

Last edited by Stielow; 01-26-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:09 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns RS View Post
and as a result and i could be mistaken, but i think a Bosch system was incorporated into jackass 2.0?
Yes I added the Bosch M4 system on Jackass. Works great with the Carbon ceramic brakes. Zero issues!

Mark
Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 PM

That's great info! I hate ABS (happily cut it out of my Corvette's brake system), but I'm glad I read this. Thank you, sir!
Old 01-30-2017, 01:27 AM

Thanks Mark, I'm just kidding about the FSAE thing we had a ringer on our team who is now the chief engineer for Roush Racing. I'll dig into the C5 system in more detail as 90% of my driveline mimics it. The only difference is the rear wheel speed sensor, I'll have to compare to see if they are the same as the C5 (Which I doubt) but you are right about changes to the calibrated system, I have that problem on my firebird with better brakes and Hoosiers, it's real easy to get into Ice Mode and there is no recovery after you've already cooked the braking zone standing as hard as you can on the pedal.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
Thanks Mark, I'm just kidding about the FSAE thing we had a ringer on our team who is now the chief engineer for Roush Racing. I'll dig into the C5 system in more detail as 90% of my driveline mimics it. The only difference is the rear wheel speed sensor, I'll have to compare to see if they are the same as the C5 (Which I doubt) but you are right about changes to the calibrated system, I have that problem on my firebird with better brakes and Hoosiers, it's real easy to get into Ice Mode and there is no recovery after you've already cooked the braking zone standing as hard as you can on the pedal.

My Lotus 2 11 goes into Ice Mode in a spin...... and that's a factory system. Lotus - sadly - never worked that bug out of the system. So the key is -- don't spin. Simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
DAK8 (11-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:47 AM

Mark do you ever run a catch can setup and if so what does your system look like? Trying to get more clarity of the proper way to route the pcv system.