Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz
Is your wheelwells blue or black? That is probably the reason I am undecided is the wheel wells. I don't want to touch them up!

Mike
That's Don's car, Mike. Jody would know the answer to that one.

I'd do the tubs and inner fenders in semi-flat black or just undercoat them.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS
Do you intend to do any wheelies with it?

IMHO, it all depends on the car and the color. There has to be some contrast, like body-color floors, with black framerails/suspension goodies.

Also, any bright or light colors look horrid if they are visible through the grille, in the wheelwells, or hang below the rocker panels... just my opinion though.
Car will be red, as if that is a rare color . My car rolled out the door Bolero Red.

Core support is going black, wheelwells is my issue, nothing is below the rockers, not the subframe or the floorpans.

I have about decided to paint it low gloss black like edp coatings. It will make life very simple.

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM

i vote for black underbody.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Supporting Member

The best way to do it is to assemble the whole bottom of the car to make sure you have covered all the holes you need to drill and mods needed.

Then take it all apart.

Next...

Spray the rear frame rails in POR 15 frame black. Mask them off. Spray the entire belly in bed liner material. Mask off the wheel wells. Spray the belly in body color. Pull the masking off the wheel wells and clear the entire bottom including the fraim rails. That will make an ultra fresh and clean bottom that is EASY to clean up.

However, my vote is to do the whole bottom in bed liner with the rear frame rails smooth black.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:27 AM

I painted mine gloss black underneath and denfinatly regret not painting it the body color. But at the time wasn't 100 pecent shure if I was painting the car orange or black. Going body color whould definatly show way more detail..
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Hi, I agree that if you're after detail then a contrasting underbody will look like you'ver really made an effort. I've always tended to think that if you cover the underbody with bed liner & then paint it, it looks like you wanted a different colour but couldn't be too bothered about putting in enough effort to do it properly. Yes, a smooth painted underbody is higher maintenence, but the overall effect far outweighs the effort needed to look after it.Best method would be to cover the baremetal in something like PPG Washprime,( assume you have this in the US) which is an acid based etchprimer,over-primed with a 2K primer, flat the primer where you want top surface type finish ie front clip, rear chassis legs etc & then coat with a good few coats of 2K colour. Under the wheel wells spray 2 coats of Stoneguard/Stonechip or whatever you call it in the US & once fully dry flat down to a smooth finish with 320 Wet & Dry & then colour that with 2K. I'm going to paint my '69 black but I'm going to paint the underside with dark metallic grey/charcoal colour & clearcoat it. It'll run all the suspension, axles & any othe parts I want to show as details in gloss black & assemble it all with polished stainless nuts 'n bolts. It'll be dark enough to be a contrast & will show that an effort has been made, plus it wont be too light in colour to show from the side profile, plus a darker colour is easier maintenance & will touch up ok. A dark grey underbody would suit a red car in my opinion, Hope that helps........Nigel

Last edited by evilzee28; 08-04-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:54 PM

WOW. I think I will have to do mine like that. about 2' in the air on my creeper. Should be fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Brash are we Yody? No harm no foul. Rhino has color matches for many factory colors on the market. I have just about decided to paint the bottom of the car body color and do the wheel wells with matching Rhino for durability as Jody is doing. Painting the bottom is part of me being anal about the details top to bottom. It will never see a trailer , yes the stainless hardware will be polished, 3 link is staying, won't have a MMII front end, and leather carpet would be easier to clean, but no thanks. I hope people gasp when they see me thrash my car around the track. I think I will compete with Parsons in the SHOW-N-GO class. I can always paint it black later. I am good at tearing stuff apart.

Mike

ps: the black on your car does look good but I will never use inferior paints like Eastwood and miracle fixes like POR15. (Scott, where's the touche icon i need?)
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Noted, Mike.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 08-06-2005, 07:18 PM

I vote black or black liner.. Had a car with the bottom painted body color and its a pain in the butt if you drive it. To me and its only my opinion is a car painted body color is a show car not a driver.