Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 PM

so your plan is 4pt per passenger all the time? that would work if thats the case. still not sure if i would want a bar back there even with the 4pts though.

i had thought about doing 3 pts in the rear for the kids, but they will be in booster seats for a long time to come. still looking for ideas. looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Tim
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 AM

I am at this point with my convertible as well. I don't want to run just lap belts only, but running a roll bar with kids in the back seat is out as well. This is the one item that I have not been able to move beyond and finish the interior and the car.....

Darren
Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 PM

If there is one bar going from B pillar to B pillar and its essentially right up against the back of the seat, and the rear passengers are in 4 point belts, there is no way anything critical (like you face/head) is going to hit that bar.

Yes, in the event of a huge rollover etc, arms or legs could come into contact with it, but they may also hit the roof, window, seat and a million other places too that could do just as much damage. I think the risk is pretty small.

Now if there are big down bars, main hoop and a halo..... thats where "head vs bar" starts to come into play......
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
If there is one bar going from B pillar to B pillar and its essentially right up against the back of the seat, and the rear passengers are in 4 point belts, there is no way anything critical (like you face/head) is going to hit that bar.

Yes, in the event of a huge rollover etc, arms or legs could come into contact with it, but they may also hit the roof, window, seat and a million other places too that could do just as much damage. I think the risk is pretty small.

Now if there are big down bars, main hoop and a halo..... thats where "head vs bar" starts to come into play......
Thats why I had my rear down bars follow the roof a bit before they turned down. But i also wanted to use a factory headliner but if I was doing a totally custom unit they it would tuck up against the roof and sides, the headliner would cover it.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM

a simple harness bar for 4 point belts is exactly what i'm after for my 67 camaro. i have an otherwise finished car and am simply retro-fitting for schroth's 4-point profi II asm harnesses (awesome belts by the way). i figure that after 10 years of driving around with lap belts only, i've already spent 8 of my 9 lives, and i'm not interested in having shoulder belts dangling from the roof liner.

couple questions to those on this thread that appear to best informed:

- does the b-pillar need to be heavily reinforced like it would appear was done on the DSE/kyle busch car? really want to avoid having to remove quarters

- can anyone in southern california recommend a fabricator to fab a bent harness bar with drop pin ends so its removable? as opposed to a straight bar like on rich's (69ragtp) convertible, i want one that kinks back a little

- any ideas for drop pin mounts with polyurethane bushings to minimize the squeaking from the connections

thanks in advance for any comments, jonathan
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM

here are the clamps im thinking of using and i dont think these will squeak.

also, im not one of the experts, but looking at the significant structure we would be welding to, along with how the factory has it done, i cant see needing all of what dse did. look at the upper belt holes in a chevelle, or the holes in the floor backed by a plate and youll see what i mean.

my plan is to solid weld one of these ends to a 3/16 plate and then insert it from inside the quarter and poke it out into the interior. i will then slide another piece of 3/16 over the exposed piece and plug weld it through the sheetmetal into the 3/16 piece now inside the quarter. i dont think it will need much more.

Last edited by The WidowMaker; 11-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM

you're right, those connectors look nice and beefy, would definitely not squeak when screwed tight. much better than a simple drop pin.

only concern would be one side of the connector is going to be permanently mounted to b-pillar and would be kinda knarly to catch yourself on getting in and out of the back when the harness bar is not in place.

one alternative connector i thought might work is the sort ridetech uses for their tigercage as below.

going to have a fabricator that i found in anaheim give me a few ideas and price it out.

thanks tim for your input on the b-pillar strength.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM

let me know if your guy in anaheim works out. my neighbor went back to work and quit making rhino cages out of his garage. he also sold his bender, so i may need a bar bent as well.

Tim