Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
I converted my T-56 from an LT1 version to an LS version, There is a kit i bought from a company back east (Rockford i believe), bout 400$, includes a new input shaft, shims, and front "collar" which you'll need. I saw an article about this, either popular hot rodding or chevy hi-performance, which is why i did it...

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...on_conversion/

I'm pretty sure if you have an t56 behind the bbc you'll need a different input shaft (as the final length is different) and collar, the lt1 tranny bolts up to a sbc, and the bolt pattern is the same for a bbc. You'll also need to confirm your bellhousing (you'll need an ls one obviously)
I'm glad everyone didn't think my article was pointless. I got a lot of flak on that article for some reason.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM

So the t56 magnums have a different input shaft length than the std, t56?
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
So the t56 magnums have a different input shaft length than the std, t56?
There are two "standard" older T56's for Chevy's - the LT1 T56 and the LS1/Magnum T56. The LT1 T56's have about a 5.5" input shaft - engine to bell housing to bell housing to transmission mounting surface; the LS1/Magnum's have about a 6.5" input shaft measured the same way. The Magnum should bolt right up to an LSx engine with the right bell housing and pilot bushing.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
There are two "standard" older T56's for Chevy's - the LT1 T56 and the LS1/Magnum T56. The LT1 T56's have about a 5.5" input shaft - engine to bell housing to bell housing to transmission mounting surface; the LS1/Magnum's have about a 6.5" input shaft measured the same way. The Magnum should bolt right up to an LSx engine with the right bell housing and pilot bushing.
You are correct. The lt-1 t56 will bolt up to a sbc, or a bbc, with no problems.
The LS-1 t56 won't bolt up to a sbc, so I'm guessing the op has a t56 magnum built for a sbc/bbc application, which as you stated, has a shorter input shaft. I know that I had to convert mine over.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
You are correct. The lt-1 t56 will bolt up to a sbc, or a bbc, with no problems.
The LS-1 t56 won't bolt up to a sbc, so I'm guessing the op has a t56 magnum built for a sbc/bbc application, which as you stated, has a shorter input shaft. I know that I had to convert mine over.
No. The LS1/Magnum T56 has a roughly 6.5' input shaft which will work just fine with an LSx engine, given the correct bell housing.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHarvard View Post
I'm glad everyone didn't think my article was pointless. I got a lot of flak on that article for some reason.
You mighta got some flak for that, but out here in Kali, your secrets out. The guy i sold my zz3 to bought an LT t-56 and i couldn't be happier as I had my t-56 "magnumed" rebuilt right before my LS conversion and i was sooo relieved when i found out i could do this ( i was afraid i was going to be out another 1600)

So ya, thanks for that article. Watched your blue hour build too, absolutely love your car....

back on topic,,,,sorry for the diversion......Mike
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
You mighta got some flak for that, but out here in Kali, your secrets out. The guy i sold my zz3 to bought an LT t-56 and i couldn't be happier as I had my t-56 "magnumed" rebuilt right before my LS conversion and i was sooo relieved when i found out i could do this ( i was afraid i was going to be out another 1600)

So ya, thanks for that article. Watched your blue hour build too, absolutely love your car....

back on topic,,,,sorry for the diversion......Mike

Well good! I'm glad someone got something out of it. I figured for $400 and if you have an LT T56 laying around, it only makes perfect sense.

The one I built for the article was one I had from my old build. I converted it and sold it for double!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
An LS1 T56 will bolt up just fine to a SBC/BBC with a 0.5" thick mounting/adapter plate and the original Muncie type bell housing and mechanical clutch linkage. You can skip the adapter plate if you use a hydraulic clutch linkage and a T56 specific bell housing for the SBC/BBC.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
No. The LS1/Magnum T56 has a roughly 6.5' input shaft which will work just fine with an LSx engine, given the correct bell housing.
Correct again. The standard GM t56 bell will work, as well as others built for this application.

Thanks Dad!!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
An LS1 T56 will bolt up just fine to a SBC/BBC with a 0.5" thick mounting/adapter plate and the original Muncie type bell housing and mechanical clutch linkage. You can skip the adapter plate if you use a hydraulic clutch linkage and a T56 specific bell housing for the SBC/BBC.
I've seen this done, but never in high power applications. I wouldn't run it, ever.
Back to the original question from the op, he never stated he had the adapter plate, and associated hardware. He simply wanted to know if his tranny that's currently behind a bbc, would work behind an ls3.

Thanks Dad!!