Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-24-2020, 02:17 PM

Default ATS spindle C7 hub removal/install

Hello, I have a set of ats spindles with c7 hubs (with stock length c7 wheel studs). I need longer studs for the forgeline and wilwood brake system. I have read that speedtech recommends that I send them the spindle to have the hub removed/installed. My question is, has anyone else had to remove and install their hubs on these spindles? and have they had any difficulty or need special tools to reinstall them? Torque specs? I've replaced hubs on c6 corvettes without any issues. I understand ats spindles could be different. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:27 AM

We have removed the hubs to install longer studs and then again to replace the hubs. Having never done one on a C5, C6, C7 I can't say if its the same or not but having replaced more hub assemblies than I care to count in my life the only odd thing with these spindles is the bottom bolt is behind the lower ball joint.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:38 AM

I replaced the studs on my hubs which came with the Speedtech Extreme subframe while the suspension was assembled. It's a little tricky but can be done. As I recall I used a large C-clamp with a socket on the back side to 'press' the old stud out. Then I used a bearing-style tool which allows you to pull the new stud in and seat it. I believe this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22800-W...ce-g7448806443

It takes some effort to do but can be done. I think it may be harder to do if the hub is removed from the spindle. In my case, having the suspension assembled helped to support the hub in one direction while I fought to push out and pull in the studs in the other...

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:28 AM

You can do it at home. The reason that Speedtech recommends sending it back is that the lower bolt hole is drilled out (making each hub a dedicated R or L because of the WSS pigtails) and there is an ARP stud and low profile locking nut in its place.

When removing the nut, the stud might start backing out of the forging. If that happens, you need a special stud installing tool, green loctite, and a torque wrench to reinstall it.

Just note the height as installed, and double check it before reassembly that the stud did not being to spin out of the forging.

I no longer have the torque specs, or the install method recommendations as it's been since 2009 since I assembled one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teetoe_Jones For This Useful Post:
130fe (03-26-2021), camcojb (03-26-2021)