Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Clay's 69 Project

I have had my 69 camaro since I was 16. It was a bondo bucket and had to be trailered to my HS auto shop class. Where it received no real help from the shop teacher and no real money from me. It has sat in the garage or on the street for years. I've saved money in between deployments, built a budget motor, 4 wheel disc brake upgrade, trans swap,and basically when I got out of the marines I came home bought some wheels and tires fixed the ignition system and drove the car for the first time ever since owning it. That was Jan 2008. Now it gets tinkered with from time to time, but I seem to do something to it and it's always temporary. Like I did the brake swap but it's not to the high-end brakes I want to end with, so Hopefully I will be able to save the money needed to order the parts I want to end up with for the next 10-20 years.

I just recently purchased a Wayne Due's front C-4 sub from Tellyv from this site. I'll post up some pics of that install and hopefully some work on the firewall while I've got the chance to get to it.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Camaro

Well man we have to see pictures of it please!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Excellent. Keep us posted.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Default stuff that has been done already

Name:  DSC05955.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  DSC06129.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  DSC06023.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  DSC06083.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  152.9 KB

I'll show a few of what I'm working with right now in a few hours. but the budget motor I built is going to be replaced, the front sub is getting swapped out within the next week.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 AM

Default uh oh

So I'll get some pics posted up soon, but when I had everything out of the way for me to massage the firewall and put a plate in place of my original a/c hole, I kinda didn't do a good job. First I had the welder set up all wrong, that really didn't help. Second the metal I used was a little too thin so it kept burning through. And third I didn't just do little tack welds, I did small beads and now as a result I do believe I have warped my firewall slightly.
Really crappy yah I know, but it was a painful mistake I won't make again and other spots I have welded came out a lot better, I fixed a hole in my tranny hump that I cut out just a little too big for my shifter. I should have lined up the metal better because one side is slightly higher than the other but the welds are not bad and it's all going to be under sound deadener anyway. So I wasn't too concerned with the aesthetics.

Anyway I have been laying down very very thin coats of body filler on the firewall. Good or bad idea? I just want to get my firewall looking better than stock. I might paint it tomorrow if I finish all the body filler work.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Hey, way to stick with it man. As for the work, live and learn. My first project was a MAJOR eye opener for me. It taught me alot about project planning, engineering, and hard work. Keep at it and learn from any mistakes you make.

Also, you may end up swapping parts 2-3 times. It isn't uncommon at all. some guys make due with what is available or what they can afford at the time (I know I do) and there is nothing wrong with that at all. What matters is that you are enjoying yourself and learning.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 AM

Glad to see my stub getting a good home, keep the pics coming!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 PM

trans is out, motor is sold, stock sub is on the ground, still filling holes in the firewall with the welder, and smoothing it out with body filler.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  99.1 KB
I just finished for today. I need new body mount bushings for my new subframe. I've got some that are like 4-5 years old but I don't wanna re-use them.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  80.9 KB
It looks horrible right now but I'll be filling a few more holes and smoothing it all out, hopefully I'm patient enough to do a great job and it'll never be noticeable once I paint it.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Default bondo

Looks like nice progress and direction! looks like previous owners didnt specialize in good bodywork thats OK - You can make it better and if your not sure what to do - ask - theres lots of good help on here - good luck and welcome to the board! and thank you for your service!!
90 Formula / Firehawk clone
1999 Firehawk
1969 Chevelle SS 396