Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Default Air Ride v. Coil Over

I know I have a loooong way before I need to worst about things like this but it’s just in my nature to think 1000 steps ahead of where I am.

Curious on the Pro’s and Con’s of each system. I don’t really plan on makin my car a full out race/track car but would like to take it on occasion just for fun. Would like air ride just for the fact my driveway has a big dig at the end of it that even my wife’s front valance on her mini van scraps on if she comes in too fast. But coil overs (I’d think) have the least issues with? But I don’t want that to be the only reason. So I’d like to hear all sides, good and bad.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS1969 View Post
I know I have a loooong way before I need to worst about things like this but it’s just in my nature to think 1000 steps ahead of where I am.

Curious on the Pro’s and Con’s of each system. I don’t really plan on makin my car a full out race/track car but would like to take it on occasion just for fun. Would like air ride just for the fact my driveway has a big dig at the end of it that even my wife’s front valance on her mini van scraps on if she comes in too fast. But coil overs (I’d think) have the least issues with? But I don’t want that to be the only reason. So I’d like to hear all sides, good and bad.
Not much to say that can't be figured out by sitting down and really thinking about it. Air ride comes with in-car height adjustment. Spring rate is set by the bag itself combined with the pressure.

But it also comes with a compressor, reserve tank, lines, and the electrical components to make it work. That increases the number of things to break, and raises the cost.

Coil-overs are just that. Threaded body shocks with springs and the associated mounting hardware.

Whether you need either is up to you. If the only reason you're considering the air ride is to clear your driveway, it'll probably be cheaper to just fix your driveway.
Instagram
Youtube

Last edited by Turbo6inKY; 12-28-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: speeling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo6inKY For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (03-26-2019), SilverSS1969 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6inKY View Post
Not much to say that can't be figured out by sitting down and really thinking about it. Air ride comes with in-car height adjustment. Spring rate is set by the bag itself combined with the pressure.

But it also comes with a compressor, reserve tank, lines, and the electrical components to make it work. That increases the number of things to break, and raises the cost.

Coil-overs are just that. Threaded body shocks with springs and the associated mounting hardware.

Whether you need either is up to you. If the only reason you're considering the air ride is to clear your driveway, it'll probably be cheaper to just fix your driveway.
The driveway is my biggest reason for thinking of air ride. As well as speed bumps and the massive pot holes we have in Michigan lol.

City will not let me “fix” the driveway as the dip at the end also service as a ditch/trench for rainwater coming off our street. I have thought about building a kind of portable bridge to sit over this area when I want to get the camaro out.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Air suspension has come a really long way in the last few years. The biggest improvements are in shock absorber technology, unsprung weight and digital leveling. In fact, at this point, the two springing mediums (air spring vs coil spring) are interchangeable -- at least with respect to RideTech products.

Shock absorbers are able to effectively dampen air springs better than ever before. Another big improvement, RideTech air springs are now made with composite caps to reduce unsprung weight. The last and biggest gain is digital leveling. Our RidePro-X system essentially sets your car's spring rates and cross weight every time you turn the ignition key. So your springs are dialed in whether you are driving alone or with the entire family plus a load of gear.

Air suspension costs more and involves more components, but you get additional versatility. It's up to you. Both formats work great.

Links:
67-69 Camaro Coilover System: https://www.ridetech.com/application...ilover-system/
67-69 Camaro ShockWave System: https://www.ridetech.com/products/su...ension-system/

Ridetech.com

Last edited by Steve Chryssos; 03-22-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

RidePRO-X video

Ridetech.com
Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I can't sway your decision either way as both has its advantages. Coil over or air ride depends on the owner's preferences and both are great. But, I'll say this...if you go air ride, don't cheap out on the bags, parts and labor. If it's not done right, you'll hate the ride of the car and the actual air ride itself and will began to blame it on the system. When in all actuality, you may have gotten cheap bags, garbage compressors, leaky tanks, fittings and lines, etc. Spend the money on good, quality stuff from Ride Tech or even Accuair. I'd vouch for Ridetech personally and they have stellar customer service.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 PM

And to add to the discussion, JRI offers a “hydraulic over coil Over” setup that is essentially a coil over setup with a small hydraulic cylinder unit on top that gives you the ability to lift or lower the vehicle 3” or so at the push of a button.
Kinda a “best of both worlds” type of deal.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!