Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 PM

First off, sorry Greg that you have to deal with all this bs, especially with everything else going on right now. And thank you for bringing all these issues to light.

I have been through this before (but much, much smaller scale!) with a previous forum member/vendor and his C6 subframe that I had to basically trash and start over. Which stalled my project big time and I just had to step away from it for a few years. I only own a Sutton Front TA and rear GT frame section so far, but no suspension pieces yet as I am buying as I go along.

My personal experience with Sutton so far has been good, but seems every time I check this thread, things seem to get worse :/ I hope he gets things straightened out quickly. But now I need to figure out how to proceed with purchasing the rest of the pieces I need.

Anyway, the car does look pretty badass in the pics! It seems like you have a pretty good base to work from and I am sure you will get the car where you want it, just unfortunately more time and money than should be required. Thanks again for putting this out there.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

After talking back and forth with Rob all weekend, I’d say you’re a pretty patient man, Greg!

If there’s any good news, it’s that you have a ton of friends in the industry, and a handful of them have very professional shops that can get you and the car back where you’d like to be!

Now if I may, I’m going to give a shameless promotion for a friend and say that you need to give JJ a call when it’s time to get your car back out on track!

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@BOS For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Greg,
first of all i'm sorry this happened to you
second, i'm sorry about the friendship gone sour
I am shocked, surprised and saddened.
I do not like excuses. My car got screwed the last two years because of two bad subs, the work was good (well, very very decent), but i missed out on so many events.

Like ELO said in that song when they sang backwards, "You can rewind this music, but you can't rewind time". Thats what truly hurts....

cheers my friend, see u in Utah. 5 weeks(ends)
GregWeld (08-09-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 AM

Greg,

I don't really know you, but we most likely share some friends in common (I worked for GM as an engineer).

I feel for you after reading your experience. He put you in a tough situation. I think you did the right thing.

I am originally from the Sacramento area and raced circle track on a well respected team in the area. I'm not completely surprised by your dissatisfaction. I had heard some things while working/racing. I believe his latest venture is at least his 2nd or 3rd attempt at something. So I don't believe your experience is limited to the circumstances. Kind of makes me feel bad in a way also for not saying anything, but you can only do so much based on your experience with someone.

I'm sure you will get the shipped turned in whatever direction you choose. I hope you stay in good spirits and health.

P.S. Not trying to dog pile, just meant to reach out in support.
The Following User Says Thank You to mad68rs For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Woke up this morning feeling pretty good about finally shooting this asswipe in the head. Slept all night and never thought about him or the car.

It's just a car -- I have others -- and this one is a series of simple fixes. Takes some time and costs some money. I'm not worried about it, or me.....

WHAT I WORRY ABOUT IS YOU GUYS --- and the "vendors" that can/could take fallout -- and that's not right. I can afford this financially. My time is a separate issue, and unknown, and we don't dwell on that.

I want you guys to go out and BUY FROM THE GOOD GUYS out there --- support them -- there are MANY!! The SpeedTechs and the RideTechs and the UMI's and pick a name...... Don't let one bruise destroy the apple..... switch your orders from SUTTON -- call your credit card companies and reverse the charges -- get angry - warn your friends - post crap on his Facebook or Instagram....... and then move on --- support this site and support the great vendors -- bring your troubles to the surface and lets help each other to move forward.

I can assure you if you're waiting on a "tech support" call from him for months and months --- or that crap part that didn't fit or was welded wrong.... don't wait for a SUTTON fix -- there are people and vendors here that will help you. Call or email 'em and move forward with them. They'll all know what's going on and I know most all of them personally --- they'll pick up the phone and call you back and ship on time.

Here's something of interest -- I'd have never thought about it. My buddy Basher wants a Butler seat -- SUTTON tells him "5 weeks" --- He (schmart little feller that he is) calls Butler -- they say "7 to 10 days". So if you're waiting on something from the dickhead ------ call the actual supplier and ask them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
Ummgawa (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Wow this derailed quick. I always enjoy reading though your build threads, Greg. Sorry this happened to you.

Reading though all that happened and remembering the Prodigy problems from a few years ago two things stand out to me with both. Both parties talked a lot about how wonderful they were and how awesome their work is all the time. Something you don't see from other builders that seem to have very few problems like Iron Works, Roadster Shop, Speedtech, ect. Their builds always speak for themselves. The other thing I noticed is both advertised free tech support just a phone call or email away and you didn't ever have to buy anything from them. How do you have time to get anything done if you're doing that?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
Wow this derailed quick. I always enjoy reading though your build threads, Greg. Sorry this happened to you.

Reading though all that happened and remembering the Prodigy problems from a few years ago two things stand out to me with both. Both parties talked a lot about how wonderful they were and how awesome their work is all the time. Something you don't see from other builders that seem to have very few problems like Iron Works, Roadster Shop, Speedtech, ect. Their builds always speak for themselves. The other thing I noticed is both advertised free tech support just a phone call or email away and you didn't ever have to buy anything from them. How do you have time to get anything done if you're doing that?

It actually didn't derail quickly --- it started for me on June 28th..... with a sh!t show of epic proportions...... and THEN the emails and texts from victims started showing up. And in fact --- it SHOULD HAVE STARTED long ago -- but I was blinded by the OLD YELLER car..... and it's success. When I go back and review ------ I'm on a text train with 6 other guys -- for 5 years or whatever it's been ---- PK never got specs etc for his 3 link set up -- still waiting for this simple info -- Gaetano got bad shocks and bad info -- Rob bought parts - that didn't work correctly and was supposed to get the parts to make them work right -- took MONTHS..... and I got the shaft.... that's 4 out of 7 --- the other 3 saw this train wreck coming and alluded to it -- but the rest - like you guys walked straight off the cliff like lemmings.

I don't like being a lemming. I will fix it. It being the person responsible.

Last edited by GregWeld; 08-10-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Sorry to read of everyone’s troubles.

On a lighter note having never met you Greg it was entertaining for me to put a voice to the face while watching your video. Greg, you don’t sound at all like I had in my mind...

Take care and I hope you are back up and running soon,
Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM

What a sad state of affairs that we're reliving the Prodigy debacle again!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:46 AM

First off Greg sorry to hear this happen to you, and thank you for bringing this to light for others.

The positive news is you still have the 65 and depending on how things are shaking out on the big car lets make sure to get some events lined up this year together..

Black Friday Laguna is 102DB day!! and then October at T-HIll

or if you want to do a track rental day let me know I'll pay my $$

Secondly the whole automotive industry lacks integrity. The sh** that's been pulled on my personal cars for years makes me sick.

In my professions you would be out of business quick but somehow these leaches and cockroach shops continue on robbing people.

Case and point I went to the "classic car" specialty shop in my town to have FI-Tech installed on my Nova. It's not difficult and time permitting id do it myself. I get the car back with what was described as "light detonation" and the Fi-Tech needs to learn. I jump on the gas and holy cow I got a full rattle can of marbles under the hood.

I take the time to investigate I pull the disti which needs to be locked out (it's super simple pull disti, flip the advance to lock out and remove springs etc). I take it apart nothing was done. I call the shop that did the install and ask them point blank did you guys lock out the disti per the installation guide. Their reply of course we did.. a straight lie to my face and that was the last time they ever saw my $.
The Fi-tech was adding timing onto of my mechanical advance of 18 I'm lucky I didn't loose a motor it shot up to 50+ all in advanced.

Nate