Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 PM

Default My first Old School car purchase thread around $30k. Advice or opinions appreciated

Well I figured I’ll start a thread on “making my first Old School car purchase” instead of making another post on every car that interests me on the internet. I’d rather just keep it all on the same thread... Last week I passed on the blue ‘67 Firebird from LA. Kinda feeling some regret. It was pretty bad ass and clean inside/out. Not sure why I hesitated, I liked it a lot. $25.5k seemed like a deal considering everything it had. IDK, maybe I’m being too picky/patient, but it is after all the first time I’ll be buying an old car. My search goes on...

This $30k ‘68 Skylark looks like a lot of what I want already done to it. I’m waiting to see more pictures. What y’all think?

Original ad

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 06-15-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:12 PM

I think you should list the car options your interested in. Seems like your unsure of what you actually want. A skylark and firebird are way two different cars.

What is your end goal?
What are you trying to accomplish?
Are you just wanting a muscle car just because?
Are any of these cars a dream car?
Think about resale value.
Are these an impulse buy just to get a muscle car to drive?

Ahmad
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Firebird vs. Skylark?

FIREBIRD....!!

Last edited by 214Chevy; 04-20-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 AM

I'll second the Pontiac !

FYI, AMES Performance has pretty much every conceivable part available for restoration. If you go for the Firebird you would find the AMES catalog very beneficial to have for reference. If you are after factory original parts I know of several folks to help you out, PM me if interested.

Tim john---
Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 PM

so far I've liked both choices, and I am a Ford guy.

My 68 Torino
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 AM

For me this is not just an impulse buy, nor would it be my dream car by any means with only $30k lol! I’ve loved old school cars since I was a little kid. We’ve had a few in the family growing up (‘67 Mustang, ‘68 Firebird, ‘70 Cougar, ‘70 Mustang, ‘73 Camaro, ‘73 Mustang, and a ‘79 Camaro), but all were pretty much stockers... In the 90’s I got the Fox Body bug and that’s all I’ve been tinkering with ever since and still own one... Nowadays I see all these old cars being built up really nice to drive like modern performance cars, and that’s what really got me interested even more so. And oh yes, no more having to deal with the smog BS! I really don’t have a favorite make/model as I’ve always liked too many of them. Just not into the long body styles that look more low-riderish/cruiser.
Now I won’t be auto crossing, but I do want a muscle car that’s good for some spirited driving up in the foothills, not just the drag strip. In the end this would be my “Want to have list”
-Nicely painted, rust free body
-Built motor with at least 300+RWHP
-Manual 5 or 6 speed
-Beefier aftermarket suspension
-Bigger disc brakes all around
-A/C
If I find a car that has all of these things that would be great, but not having all wouldn’t be a deal breaker either as I can always do the upgrades and swaps I want later on down the road.

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 07-12-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Been talking to the Skylark’s owner. Here’s some details and pictures of what I got so far. Undercarriage is super clean! You can tell how anal this guy is Only has 250 miles on it since finished. He says there’s few minor things to work on like the stereo, interior lights, and an alignment. I’m still waiting for more exterior pics. Think he’s gonna take her out and wash her first. I’d like to see more of that Corvette Cyber Grey Metallic paint. He says there are a few small blemishes on top of the drivers fender, which we can work out. Also, will send bodywork/prep pics as soon as he gets them from his painter’s flash drive... Looks like alota bang for the buck!? What y’all think?

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 07-11-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:42 PM

Got some more body pics. Looks pretty nice I must say

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 06-12-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM

The Buick does look nice. I only hesitate as its not a body style I have ever cared for. You also don't see many done, which makes me question.... Is that a good or bd thing come resale time? Hard to answer. I wouldn't do it, but that's me to my tastes.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 PM

To me it looks very similar to all the other same era MuscleCar body styles (from the side view at least) like the GTO, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, LeMans, Cutlass, etc. I really like the tail end of it more than the others. The trunk’s shape, bumper, and tail lights just look so cool to me. I also like the fact that it isn’t a common car being built. I wish all badges were completely shaved just to keep other’s guessing what it is lol! Now I know resale value won’t be anything like a ‘69 Camaro or ‘65-‘70 Fastback, but I’m not getting into it to buy and sell either. I know I’ll take the hit when it comes to that, but as for now I do plan on just enjoying it for the long while. I’m sure we can negotiate a little bit on the price, but considering all the work done and parts involved, wouldn’t you say this is a very good deal?