User Name
Password

Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
It’s a gamble...

Don
This^^^

It is most definately a gamble. If the VIN is back attached on the dash and the car is complete and running and driving it is unlikely the DMV or CHP would have you remove the dash pad to inspect the rivets on the VIN tag. If this is some type of unfinished project where the VIN rivets are exposed it could be an issue. In most cases it is the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law. In California if you went by the letter of the law there would not be very many classic cars that would pass the VIN verification process. Most DMV and CHP Officers go by the spirit of the law but that is a chance you will take.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
That’s the issue. If the engine VIN doesn’t match the dash VIN and the rivets are not the correct original rivets the assumption is that something is wrong. I’ve seen cars with non matching engine VINs impounded here in Texas when they go for a VIN inspection. I’ve also seen them pass no problem. It’s a gamble...

Why didn’t the seller reattach the VIN tag on the dash?

If you are worrying about the cowl tag in the second pic that is completely irrelevant to the title transfer process. It just details the paint code etc.

Don
The VIN tag on the dash is still there. Never removed from its factory location. Only the cowl tag was removed for cowl replacement
Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
The VIN tag on the dash is still there. Never removed from its factory location. Only the cowl tag was removed for cowl replacement
No worries then, cowl tag is not needed. You don't even have to put it on if you don't want to.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Default Transforming title

You need to have the vin number on two places
of the vehicle. One does not get it. Numbers for the engine
are not required unless you are putting a newer engine in
then you are talking smog etc a different issue

The vin tag is usually riveted to the dash or the door jamb
The other is stamped to the frame or firewall
I have done two cars one out of state and the other out of
The system but both not having current and or Californa
registrations. Both required two vin numbers and inspections
Maybe if it is Currently registered in Washington it may be ok

Bob
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Alot of what has been said is single situation only. Some cars have the vin only on the engine that is long gone. Some car have the VIN on the brake booster. I kid you not.

I find it easier to have a COP friend just verify the VIN instead of taking the car to the DMV. Any law enforcement person with a badge can work. Then take the fully complete paperwork to the DMV with the out of state title. Shouldn't be hard at all.

As crazy as California law is, the DMV rules are lame and inconsistent. The DMV people don't even really know what to do. If you trip isn't going well, take you stuff and go back and try again.

I usually prefer to buy cars out of the system. I bought a new half ton 6 months ago and the DMV lady asked if it was diesel or gas. I should have said diesel. All she had to do was look at gas cap but she was too lazy. She had no clue where anything was for numbers on a brand new truck and she was the VIN checker.
STREETFIGHTER50 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Vin Verification

I do agree there are some at the Dmv that want and can help
and others that do not know or care.. if it is going bad I have
left and went back another day

When I had my Vin done on my 1970 firebird years back
It was towed from Ohio and sat for 8 years.. I raced it for
another 6-7 years then decided to get it registered. I met
a firebird Chp officer at an event and he told me the second
vin was under the heater cover.. I pulled it back and cleaned it
up but you could only see it with a flashlight and mirror buried
under the fender
The vin checker told me the number was wrong.. I tried to
convince her the mirror was showing the numbers backwards

She finally said ok and asked me what was the metal it was
on.. I had to tell her it was the firewall... When I went inside
to finalize the paperwork they said something about maybe
fraud.. it did have a lien sale, along a signed over old title
out of the system.. never have heard back from them in 25 years
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I’m really interested in a car from Washington. During restoration the cowl was replaced and the VIN tag/plate was not reinstalled to the new cowl. Seller still has the cowl tag though. Will this be a problem to transfer/register here in California?
Quote:
I have pics of the entire build up. Can clearly see the rusted cowl section where the VIN tag came from. Seller will reinstall it on the new cowl section factory location with the correct rivets and match the paint.
If you never say anything about it, how are they going to even know? Metal has been replaced, painted, looks all good.

My Chevelle is CA built, was sold to a guy in AZ in 2010 and he only had it there 1.5 years. I bought it and brought it back to CA. The stupid lady at DMV thought my cowl tag was my vin tag. I start to explain what all the numbers mean on the cowl tag and she wouldn't believe me and told me I was wrong..............Open my drivers door and point out the VIN tag in the door jamb...........dumb AZZ!!!!! So many stupid people work at DMV.
Project Build
Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
Alot of what has been said is single situation only. Some cars have the vin only on the engine that is long gone. Some car have the VIN on the brake booster. I kid you not.

I find it easier to have a COP friend just verify the VIN instead of taking the car to the DMV. Any law enforcement person with a badge can work. Then take the fully complete paperwork to the DMV with the out of state title. Shouldn't be hard at all.

As crazy as California law is, the DMV rules are lame and inconsistent. The DMV people don't even really know what to do. If you trip isn't going well, take you stuff and go back and try again.

I usually prefer to buy cars out of the system. I bought a new half ton 6 months ago and the DMV lady asked if it was diesel or gas. I should have said diesel. All she had to do was look at gas cap but she was too lazy. She had no clue where anything was for numbers on a brand new truck and she was the VIN checker.
^^^^^EXACTLY!!!
If you are in northern CA around Sac contact me, I'm local PD and have done plenty of VIN verifications. I know how ridiculous DMV can be (They couldn't complete a VIN verification on a side by side I bought from Nevada) and it really depends on who you deal with on any given day there.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965_SS View Post
If you never say anything about it, how are they going to even know? Metal has been replaced, painted, looks all good.

My Chevelle is CA built, was sold to a guy in AZ in 2010 and he only had it there 1.5 years. I bought it and brought it back to CA. The stupid lady at DMV thought my cowl tag was my vin tag. I start to explain what all the numbers mean on the cowl tag and she wouldn't believe me and told me I was wrong..............Open my drivers door and point out the VIN tag in the door jamb...........dumb AZZ!!!!! So many stupid people work at DMV.
LMAO! Good one!!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Good news! There is a visible VIN stamped on top of the frame rail on the driver’s side near the fuel tank. Matches the last eight numbers on the dash VIN tag. He had to get in there with a small mirror, but it’s clearly there. Awesome! Moving forward.

Last edited by STREETFIGHTER50; 06-18-2019 at 05:49 PM.