Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Default Another welding question....Spool Gun

So wanting to expand my capabilities I would like to learn to weld aluminum. I have a Millermatic 211 MVP welder already which does everything I need to do as far as steel goes.

If I was to take on a project which incorporated aluminum I have no way to weld it and really cant afford a TIG set-up. So my question is a spool gun capable of welding sheet aluminum (miller says 14ga or larger), or is it like the flux core of aluminum welding and designed for odd jobs that are hard to reach? Do I need a TIG to do it right?

Also is there any difference in welding Aluminum or steel(technique)? Miller suggests "pushing".

I don't plan on doing any structural building with Aluminum, so I dont see me going thicker than 14ga.

I'm continuing my research it has only begun. I know there is some knowledge on this site, figured I would tap into it again.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM

For the types of things you will likely want to make for your car projects, you will want to get yourself a TIG. And practice, practice, practice. You don't need to have the latest greatest inverter machine. You can usually find decent used miller Syncrowaves for around a grand if you are patient.

Mig welding aluminum with a spool gun is intended mostly for "production" welding on things like aluminum boats, trailers, grandstands, awnings, etc where finished appearance is not a main concern and all that is required is good weld integrity and where weld cleanup and a little sanding may be acceptable to make the appearance "presentable" but that's about it. Welding aluminum requires tight control of the process and you will be challenged to weld even material as thin as 1/16 with a spool gun.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310

Last edited by rwhite692; 08-30-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 AM

+1 on TIG. The more I weld the more I want a TIG. The MIG is fast and functional but the TIG is much more versitile and in the right hands the welds become artwork.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

+1 on the TIG and depending on what you are welding you don't need to spend a ton of cash.

I was at your exact point six months ago. I've been doing a bunch of projects with intercooler and intake tubing so I bought a spool gun being cheap since I've been bleeding money this year finishing out the shop. I was tacking the tubing and having a buddy I know with a TIG finish it out but that got old fast. The spool gun is heavy and sloppy and welds like crap. Fortunately for me all of the tubing i was doing was being ground down and painted- Heaven forbid I wanted to polish it out.

I picked up a Miller Diversion 165 from my brother a few months back- he bought it, used it twice, and it sat in his garage for two years. I think he paid about $1500 and I bought it from him for $1000 with a bunch of aluminum rod. Its a 220V welder so it will do anything I need. There was a learning curve from MIG to TIG but since it sounds like you know your way around a MIG you should do fine. I've had it about two months and although I'm not laying dimes yet but I'm getting there. Best advise I can give you is buy a foot pedal and practice on thin wall tubing or expensive radiators- it teaches you control! There was no way I was going to let myself burn through a $1400 radiator while welding on brackets!!