Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

The sad part about 3 phase is -- it's actually there in the street -- but the power companies won't let you have it at a residence.

Phase convertors are "okay" but I wouldn't run one just to have a compressor that was 3 phase. If you're going to buy other machinery that uses 3 phase - then it's a consideration - since you could buy one convertor and run different stuff with it (if sized properly) but just to run an air compressor... I personally wouldn't bother with that.

Make sure you get at LEAST a 5 hp compressor --- and what's really the most important about a compressor is the VOLUME of AIR (CFM'S) that it will make at "X" PSI.... If you're going to run air tools --- some die grinders etc can use up enormous amounts of air in a big hurry. You don't want your compressor to not be able to keep up with them. That sucks and should only happen or be allowed to happen if you're on a really tight budget and just can't possibly spring for the proper version.

The other HUGE air user -- a blast cabinet! So think about what you're planning to do in the future -- and size the compressor accordingly.

Here's something many folks don't know!

If you plan on using an air tool on a continuous basis, it is a good idea to multiply the “Average CFM” x 4 to get a continuous CFM rating for the tool.

Most tools use about 90 psi... so you need a CFM # out of your compressor @ 90 psi for it to "keep up".

Figure a die grinder to use 4 to 6 CFM - so X's 4 = 16 to 20 CFM @ 90psi
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM

I agree Mr. Weld . Thanks to the replys ...Converter is 600 .00 and something else to break .
I have been getting by with a 5hp single stage . Its 20 years old and it was a cheap one then . How I did complete paint jobs with it is a miracle . Tired of fighting it .
Anything 3phase is out , residents .
got my eye on a North Star , or a Puma 3 cylinder . See what the tool guy can do tomorrow ..
Has to be American made , min 5 hp ,with an after cooler
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Default what i have

I priced compressors
then found a local company who built mine new

4 CYLINDER PUMP,,,, its looks likea have a motorcycle engine on top..lol
7.5 SINGLE PHASE BALDOR MOTOR, pulley sized to slow it down
80 GALLON UPRIGHT TANK
hour meter.. unloader switch.. MAKE SURE YOU GET AN UNLOADER SWITCH. it saves the electric motor.
pumps in the high 30S CFM and will push my sandy jet pressure pot blaster no problem. Guy told me would never need to upgrade and its true.
25OO DOLLARS IS ALL I SPENT. So look and see if you have a local compressor company thats been in business for a long time and you will probably spend less than any advertised at the hardware/tool companies.. this same thing usually runs 3500 plus from major "brand" tool retailers

Tom