Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Ride Tech sway bar installed correctly?

I recently installed a Ride Tech sway bar on my C10 since I didn't have one at all. They offered the fattest bar which goes with my big bar soft spring preference for a street vehicle. Shipping was quick and the packaging was absolutely fantastic. Directions were good too. The only problem I'm having is they aren't responding to any emails so hopefully you all can help guide me in their absence.

My truck is lower than their Street Grip suspension which I believe this bar was designed around. As you can see from the pics below, the end links are already leaning forward and in towards the center of the truck while I'm at ride height. The bar sits fairly level with the ends only slightly up which is to be expected since I'm lower than I think they intended. I've driven the truck a bit and feel no binding or noises from the front end. However, I'm about to pull everything apart in order to rebuild the ball joints and bushings. I figured I'd investigate the possibility of moving the control arm mounts in more which should correct their current angles and have them more vertical. Do you think it's worth the effort though? If I need to redo the frame mounts to pull the bar closer to the frame, I can do this at the same time. No big deal really.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 AM

Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks like you’re sitting on the bump stops. If that is the case, then the sway bar issue is minimal. Install a shorter bump stop or cut your existing ones down, then re-evaluate the sway bar angle.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 AM

My driveway slopes to the left in the pics which puts more weight on the passenger side. I'm like an 1/8" of an inch off the bump stops. They will get cut down to allow more travel. The issue is I don't have room in the wheel well for the tire to move up. Until I get new tubs, I may leave the bump stops as is to help prevent hitting the tubs. It rides well enough for now. Ah, the joys of lowering a truck.

I currently have the front end torn down. I've repositioned the brackets on the control arm to where they need to be to have the end links more vertical. It also required me to push the bar towards the back of the truck on the mount brackets. This is my plan unless RideTech or anyone else can say why not. I still haven't received a reply from them.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2021, 12:00 PM

Thumbs up

Another thought on the bump stops. I went with Belltech Bump Stops. They provide good stop, but are soft enough to not be jarring.

They make a couple different heights. Here's the ones I ended up using on my '90 OBS: https://www.belltech.com/belltech-fo...t-od-4922.html
The Following User Says Thank You to WILWAXU For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 08:50 PM

Thanks, John. I was aware of those bump stops and may use them for the rear since I don't have a C-notch and don't have any bump stops. For the fronts, I can easily cut them down as needed. There's a lot of material there.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:26 AM

If I remember correctly there is a steel blade in the middle of the stock bump stops. So, there is not as much material that you can cut away as you think. You have to cut down the mount most likely.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 PM

Well, that will definitely put a damper on my plans if that's true. I'll report back once I get to that point. Thank you