Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM

anyone else have a Rick's or other tank they loved or had issues?
I haven't bought one yet so...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs up

I used to have a Rock Valley tank in my car for several years and never had any issues with it. The tank's construction was great. Installation was easy but the stainless straps were a pain to get right. The only time I had starvation issues was when I accidently ran it out of gas LOL. I ran it at the drag strip but never autocrossed with it. For a cruiser it was good. Their customer service although not bad, it wasn't very "techinical". I was having a fuel venting issue and they would tell to try "this (insert possible fix)" and call us back. After a few times of that and no help/fix of the problem, I decided to not call them anymore for help.

I changed my rear suspension to a airride and needed to go another direction, need clipped corners on the tank (so I could run tailpipes). I ordered a tank from Ricks. Installation of their tank was easier than easy. I had the tank installed in about 10 minutes. Rick's customer service is GREAT! They answered all of my questions and explained other options (got the ones with check balls in the system). I liked both tanks but if I had to decide between the two I would say Ricks.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 AM

Ricks Tank is a sweet looking piece but at over $1,000 dollars and an AC delco fuel pump it uses I say there are better options. I am not talking about a build were money is not an issue and look is just as important as performance.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

I just had to change the bladder in the fuel cell in my Panoz and the price was about 1200.00. The recommend replacing it about every 5 years. That is a recurring cost I would not want in a street car.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post
Ricks Tank is a sweet looking piece but at over $1,000 dollars and an AC delco fuel pump it uses I say there are better options. I am not talking about a build were money is not an issue and look is just as important as performance.
Nemesis, what would you suggest then?? I agree that the price is higher than most guys would like to pay for a tank. When it comes to excellent workmanship and awesome tech support, I will spend some extra money. I have about $1500 in my fuel system, more than I wanted to spend but it is top notch for what I am running in my car. I have gone the cheaper route before (until I saved enough money for the better stuff) but now I can drive my car as hard as I want and not have to worry about it.

There are other options out there, but most have some known "imperfections". None of them are perfect but I have had the best experience with the rick's one. In the end it just depends on what you want to do with your car (autocross, drag strip, cruiser). The Spectre tank, although cheaper, has been known to have starvation issues at low fuel levels and the fuel pump doesn't support some high horsepower levels. If you are just building a cruiser, than this might be an ok option. Depending on what you welding skills are, you could use the tanksinc unit or have your stock tank modified. If you don't have any welding skills, then that cost adds up. Not really sure on how the tanks one or a modified ones are for their baffles. You can research the cost for buying a new stock tank, paying for the modifications and the costs aren't that far away from the higher end units. If you are worried about the stock AC fuel pump, just upgrade to the Walbro one (or similiar).

I will tell you from personal experience, that after doing my fuel system a couple of times (to improve it), it is easier to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Nemesis, what would you suggest then?? I agree that the price is higher than most guys would like to pay for a tank. When it comes to excellent workmanship and awesome tech support, I will spend some extra money. I have about $1500 in my fuel system, more than I wanted to spend but it is top notch for what I am running in my car. I have gone the cheaper route before (until I saved enough money for the better stuff) but now I can drive my car as hard as I want and not have to worry about it.

There are other options out there, but most have some known "imperfections". None of them are perfect but I have had the best experience with the rick's one. In the end it just depends on what you want to do with your car (autocross, drag strip, cruiser). The Spectre tank, although cheaper, has been known to have starvation issues at low fuel levels and the fuel pump doesn't support some high horsepower levels. If you are just building a cruiser, than this might be an ok option. Depending on what you welding skills are, you could use the tanksinc unit or have your stock tank modified. If you don't have any welding skills, then that cost adds up. Not really sure on how the tanks one or a modified ones are for their baffles. You can research the cost for buying a new stock tank, paying for the modifications and the costs aren't that far away from the higher end units. If you are worried about the stock AC fuel pump, just upgrade to the Walbro one (or similiar).

I will tell you from personal experience, that after doing my fuel system a couple of times (to improve it), it is easier to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it.
Anyone can do some searching and see that an off the shelf ricks tank (or any off the shelf tank besides fuel cells) will not perform well at all with low to moderate fuel levels even on the street around normal corners.

Comparing it to a modified stock tank, it obviously has a huge benefit in that it looks ten times better, and also you don't have to think about it much at all, you can just buy it and install it and just remember to keep the car above a quarter tank.

Additionally a number of people have had Ricks make them tanks that perform better although I'm not sure of any additional cost involved with that.

Like almost all parts it's weighing appearance, performance and price and different people value different things. The Ricks tanks can give you the first two, a modified stock tank can give you the last two.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM

I plan on going with this:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...cat/cat113.htm

You can have a fuel pump that is rated to 550 hp. In my experience Walboro pumps are under rated. (my stock fuel pump on my daily driver is supporting around 500 hp without ever a problem)

As far as starvation concerns wouldnt keeping the tank half full take care of that concern?

If there are any concerns with this specific tank please inform me.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis RR View Post
You can get them with Bosch, Aeromotive, or Walbro pumps too. I had an internal Bosch in mine from Rick's. Very nice piece.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
You can get them with Bosch, Aeromotive, or Walbro pumps too. I had an internal Bosch in mine from Rick's. Very nice piece.
Hey Flash, was your Bosch noisy? I may need to change my pump after I drop the tank in a few weeks.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtyme1 View Post
Hey Flash, was your Bosch noisy? I may need to change my pump after I drop the tank in a few weeks.
Mark, what pump is currently in your Ricks tank. Noisy??