Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I see several things wrong with this guys story.... especially the speed part. Not to mention not wearing gloves... that's not even smart. And I'd catch the paper towel on fire in the first tack. Why expose your hands to the UV...

I've TIG'd a fair amount of sheet metal.... and I find that if I tack - skip - tack - skip - tack - hammer the gap/warp flat around each tack before I continue - and COOL the metal as I go... The key for me is minimal heat - tack quickly - patience - cooling - tapping the gap gets the job done.

Warpage - in all welding materials and types - is all about heat control... and that is FAR harder to learn than "melting metal and adding filler"...

Doing stainless sheet -- with PERFECT fit up -- you can tack with a quick stab of the foot control - no filler... just a very quick "zap" and you're done... and even that will pull the gap off... so you have to tap that gap back before you move on.

I only use a foot control -- I put the finger control away and have never gotten it out since. I have to steady/rest my torch hand and filler hand --- or fugedidaboudit.

See any warpage in this tank I made?

wow, when I grow up I wanna weld like you.

So thats no filler?

vince

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Vince -- Trust me -- I suck.

You're right - hardly any filler --- only dipped as I had to and then ran it as far as I could. The fit up was really good and I tacked it tight and used light taps to keep the gap closed.

A corner weld like this is probably the easiest weld to make... and SS welds really nicely.

I was really trying to show that with just "enough" heat -- you can really control the warping. On this tank -- I wanted NO warping if at all possible.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out2kayak View Post
Just curious how folks setup your TIG machines for welding sheet metal.

Do you still follow the 1 amp / .001" rule of thumb?

I've been playing in the 80 amp range for 16 gauge with 15 CFH and a 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten.

I've been reading at http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6292 a "no hammer method" of welding sheet metal that I'm going to try, but wanted to hear what others are doing.

Thoughts?

Good Question! Getting too old to remember settings...I will have to get back with you on that one! LOL I use 1/16 or .040 depending on what sheet metal I am welding. 3/32 maybe on 16 gauge or more. I have also found how I grind the tungsten makes a HUGE difference.

If a critical area I use heat sink to keep the heat where I am welding and it works well.

Not mild steel but this is a tank Ijust built for my old pickup

Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM

I could use a little advice here ....ok allot of advice
Im trying to tig 18 & 20 guage sheet metal . I do alot of patch panels .
Not having much success with this Miller Econotig . I have a foot pedal .
I have tried 3/32 tungsten .Today I tried a 1/16 tungsten and filler rod .
I was told today it would be very difficult to do 20 guage with this welder .
True ?
3/32 I burned through . 1/16 not enough .
I have been grinding to a point allot like a #2 pencil . Tried all kinds of stick out with the tungsten .
frustrated ...

When I turned the amps down , I got an arc through the cup , or diffuser . Not the tungsten .a couple times .

Last edited by Sandbagger; 11-08-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
I could use a little advice here ....ok allot of advice
Im trying to tig 18 & 20 guage sheet metal . I do alot of patch panels .
Not having much success with this Miller Econotig . I have a foot pedal .
I have tried 3/32 tungsten .Today I tried a 1/16 tungsten and filler rod .
I was told today it would be very difficult to do 20 guage with this welder .
True ?
3/32 I burned through . 1/16 not enough .
I have been grinding to a point allot like a #2 pencil . Tried all kinds of stick out with the tungsten .
frustrated ...

When I turned the amps down , I got an arc through the cup , or diffuser . Not the tungsten .a couple times .

Nobody can teach you how to TIG weld via a forum.... YOU are probably doing something wrong - but it'd be pretty dang hard to say what that would be by reading and replying to a post. Not being a smart ass here -- or being down on you. Just trying to be factual. TIG is an acquired art/skill. The settings are "guidelines" - to be adjusted by the welder depending on the materials being used... the job... the skill... the speeds at which the individual welder welds... it's all "sorta"...

It could be the way you're grinding your tungsten - could be the gas flow - could be the material - could be the fit up - could be the who knows what.

Check your GROUND.... Check that your material is as clean as a newborns butt... or cleaner. DO NOT USE CHLORINATED CLEANERS -- that will kill you... I clean all my edges with a scotchbrite or 3M scuff pad on a die grinder... get the scale etc off the edges. Get 'em down to brite clean metal... FIT UP IS SO IMPORTANT - CLOSE MAN - GET EM CLOSE. You should be able to tack the piece in without filler on a corner weld... probably have to use some filler on a butt weld (like a fill panel)...

20 gauge is weldable with a book of matches... any welder can handle that gauge... so that isn't the problem. The thinner the material the more skill required would be my only caveat.

What gas are you using -- should be ARGON only -- 100%. Flow around 10 or 12 CFH @ 20 psi

You should use a 1/16" 2% Ceriated/ or 2% Thoriated tungsten with a sharp point - and 1/16" filler - ER70S6.

How are you sharpening your points? Do you use a dedicated wheel? If not - you should...

Look up - YOUTUBE - and search videos on sharpening your tungsten if you haven't already. And also search and watch any videos you can on beginning TIG welding. You might pick up some info that will help you.

I'm sorry that you are frustrated with this style of welding -- but once you get the hang of it - you won't want to weld any other way!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 AM

After some reading last night ...
I have been grinding the tungsten incorrectly .
Right on the machine it says 20g -difficult ,and a guy at the welding supply says an Econotig only goes down to 20 amps and I would have a tough time .
I have welded 1/8 inch plate with this machine ,just having a tough time on 18-20 -22 guage
I am useing the rod & tungsten you suggested .Metal is clean and no gap .
Check the gas flow And try again today . It has to be something simple Im doing wrong ...
Thanks ...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Regarding the OP and fellow using high heat and welding fast to minimize heat, I think that's usually a better way to weld. I don't know about 140A on 16g sheetmetal, but I use about 60A+ when I'm welding SS tube on headers and exhaust.

I've found that I get a better weld, with more penetration when I used torch movement to control heat along with amperage. I think that's true in general, and I've been making a real effort to increase my travel speed along with higher amperage.

Like others have said, there are probably lots of "correct" ways to weld.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM

on anything 20 ga and thinner i use .040 tungsten, with .035 filler.
20 ga to 16 ga i can use 1/16th and .045 er70 filler. generally 40-60 amps on a miller 250 syncrowave
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM

BTW -- Proper "fit up" means -- You should not be able to fit your filler in the gaps -- and tighter fit up than that would be even better.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Had some success today , Thanks .
Gringing the Tungsten was most of the problem , new regulator too .
When they say you dont want to go back ti the Mig they aint kidding .
Working on some 32Y body Ford fenders . Most of my parts have zero gap .
1/10 the clean up time compared to Mig