Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM

here is a progress video of the molds for the doors and a quick tour.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Very Impressive.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
Very Impressive.
Thank you!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 AM

In a couple weeks Ill have the molds done for the window frames. Those will be the most complex. 3-4 piece mold for the frames...

We are also contemplating making the hinges from carbon fiber. They would be surprisingly easy to form and mold since they are stamped from a flat piece of steel...

We would mold in replaceable brass wear bushings. maybe even use carbon hinge pins. I could even use lighter tension springs since the composite doors will be lighter.

Any Ideas?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
Very Impressive.
I agree. You seem to have thought things out very well....

Tell me, are you going to do any interior door bracing for side impact protection?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM

I was going to ask if you planned on reproducing any of those parts, but after watching the video, it looks like you're already going to.

Any word on when the parts will be ready? I'm definitely down for a set of doors and trunk lid, maybe more if you have plans for any other parts. And I'm actually stoked that someone is making parts for a Nova first instead of the Camaro.

69 Nova - 350, TKO600, Tru Turn, awaiting LS swap
Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post
I agree. You seem to have thought things out very well....

Tell me, are you going to do any interior door bracing for side impact protection?
I have thought about this a lot. I could make a serious door brace and tie it into the latch and hinge points if someone wanted one of these door sets for a street car, but I am hesitant. I really don't want to take someone's life into my own hands by saying the doors have side impact protection. The end user will have to use their own discretion.

With that said. I have designed a carbon/Kevlar door brace that will be available upon request. It will only add about 4-6lbs to the door. I am talking about a serious brace here as well. In my humble opinion, the composite doors with the brace will be MUCH more durable than the original metal door. Remember that novas don't have the crash bar that camaros do. Look forward to some very entertaining videos of destructive testing of these doors. (10lb sledge hammer beatings, 45acp rounds, run over with a truck, etc...)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
I was going to ask if you planned on reproducing any of those parts, but after watching the video, it looks like you're already going to.

Any word on when the parts will be ready? I'm definitely down for a set of doors and trunk lid, maybe more if you have plans for any other parts. And I'm actually stoked that someone is making parts for a Nova first instead of the Camaro.
I am hoping to have the molds done in 2-3 months. I have one guy working full time and one guy working part time on the project. Plus me coordinating the project...

I am making fenders and hood as well. I could make inner fenders, but since my car can't use oem inners, I would have to have a couple people interested in buying them before I would make the molds.

I am making these primarily for my nova project. The main reason I'm selling parts is to offset the expense of producing the molds. I'll have 6 months labor plus materials just in the mold sets. But of course, the final product will be worth all the extra hours we are spending making these parts perfect.

Feel free to ask questions about the process, and everyone please share ideas if you have any...
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM

I cant wait to see the final product.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCntrion View Post
I am hoping to have the molds done in 2-3 months. I have one guy working full time and one guy working part time on the project. Plus me coordinating the project...

I am making fenders and hood as well. I could make inner fenders, but since my car can't use oem inners, I would have to have a couple people interested in buying them before I would make the molds.

I am making these primarily for my nova project. The main reason I'm selling parts is to offset the expense of producing the molds. I'll have 6 months labor plus materials just in the mold sets. But of course, the final product will be worth all the extra hours we are spending making these parts perfect.

Feel free to ask questions about the process, and everyone please share ideas if you have any...
Wow I might have to buy everything you make, then!

Interested in the inner fenders, actually, since I need to modify mine since my wheels hit them under compression. Need to modify them where they bolt to the fender and possibly widen/lengthen them, so I might just buy yours if they fit what I need.

69 Nova - 350, TKO600, Tru Turn, awaiting LS swap