Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Choosing between ridetech coil Over System and Speed tech sub and rear

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ridetech coil over system vs the speedtech complete sub with the torque arm rear suspension. My car will be a street machine and will rarely see the track. I want the car to have a low stance. Just looking for some thoughts and if there are any other opinions on other combos I would love to hear them. I thought about air ride but the ride height was raised too much to my liking. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

Ridetech system:
Not sure what car you looked at with the Shockwaves, but the ride height is lowered around 2 inches from stock on the first gen.
Here's a pic of Velocity at speed to illustrate the ride height:

The Coil over package uses all the same parts with the exception of the springs (of course Shockwaves use air springs while the coil over use Hyperco steel springs).

If you are not going to track the car and are not worried about a REALLY big front tire you can keep the stock subframe if it's in good shape. If you want a big front tire you'll need our TruTurn kit or replace the entire sub with the Speed Tech kit.

Speed Tech system:
Should you choose the Speed Tech system (which is quite nice, by the way) you can upgrade to our Ridetech coil overs.

Basically you are looking at cost. The front and rear Ridetech kit (using the stock sub) is $3800 ($4450 with the TruTurn).
The Speed Tech Track Time package with front sub and rear torque arm is listed at $9893.

I'm sure Blake will jump in here and correct me if any of this is wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
Ridetech system:
Not sure what car you looked at with the Shockwaves, but the ride height is lowered around 2 inches from stock on the first gen.
Here's a pic of Velocity at speed to illustrate the ride height:

The Coil over package uses all the same parts with the exception of the springs (of course Shockwaves use air springs while the coil over use Hyperco steel springs).

If you are not going to track the car and are not worried about a REALLY big front tire you can keep the stock subframe if it's in good shape. If you want a big front tire you'll need our TruTurn kit or replace the entire sub with the Speed Tech kit.

Speed Tech system:
Should you choose the Speed Tech system (which is quite nice, by the way) you can upgrade to our Ridetech coil overs.

Basically you are looking at cost. The front and rear Ridetech kit (using the stock sub) is $3800 ($4450 with the TruTurn).
The Speed Tech Track Time package with front sub and rear torque arm is listed at $9893.

I'm sure Blake will jump in here and correct me if any of this is wrong.
Yea just to clarify the 9893. ALSO INCLUDES a Brand new Strange 9" complete with cantersection and 31 spline axles take 2995 off if you don't want the rear end. we can also spec the sub with the ridetech shocks as we sell lots with that option they work awesome!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM

I put the SpeedTech rear torque arm susp. in my 68 Camaro and could'nt believe the difference in the ride versus the leaf springs. It has a great stance and handles great. Ride Tech single adj. coilovers would be a great addition to the package. Good Luck
Kevin
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Weather,you use the speed tech or ride Tech.You will want to use the Ride Tech coil over's.The ride is so much better on the Ride Tech Coil over's Verus. the Strange it's not even funny.Speed Tech Stuff Work's great and so does the Ride Tech.Both Company's top Notch.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Good to hear, sounds like you cant go wrong with either choice.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurider View Post
Good to hear, sounds like you cant go wrong with either choice.
Blake and the guys at SpeedTech good people.Same With Bret V and his crew at Reide tech.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM

I think the desicion needs to come down to which type of rear suspension you like better, TA or 4-link. Every suspension design has its pros and compromises.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM

you can't go wrong with either.

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. I went with a mix of both with a little sc&c sprinkled in. then a little of my own customizing.

I kept my stock sub and added a speedtech chicane kit with 5" stroke ridetech tripples and ridetech 2" drop spindles. these were bolted up to modded sc&c arms. I had to uses the chicane double shear lower mounts welded and bolted to the bottom of the lower arm. I also had to clearance the lower around the shock body and res line since it went through the coil spring mount. the adjustable sc&c uppers are the shiz. all of this fab work allowed me to run a 5" stroke shock with a 12" spring.

the rear is the speedtech tq arm with the exact same 5" stroke shocks. the speedtech kit is set up to use a 4" shock so I had to add an extra tab with one additional bolt hole onto the control arm brackets to get the ride down to where I wanted it.

....and where I wanted it is down to the top of the 19/20 wheels. this was no easy feat with a 27" front and 28" rear tire. the bottom of the sub is at 4" off of the road. because of the weather, I haven't gotten to drive it anywhere other than to the muffler shop. so I haven't had a chance to start dialing it in.

all I can say is that it looks absolutely WICKED. the stance says F@%& YOU!!!

if you have no fab or welding skills nor the equipment to do it with, you will be better off sticking with a complete bolt in system. but there is a sense of accomplishment from planning and executing your own set-up.

don't you just love it when a plan comes together???

98 trans-am...black ram air convertable....firehawk bilstein suspension.

Last edited by SR71; 01-07-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 PM

If you have not already done so, check out the 48 Hour Camaro web site. There is a ton of information there.

http://48hourcamaro.com/
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"