Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 PM

green.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hey Tom, how about that video.

Freiburger, I see you got SEMA Media person of the year. Congrats. Nice orb.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM NELSON
The Motor Made 1025 Hp At 14 Pounds Of Boost And 32 Degrees Total Timing.5900 Rpm 1482 Hp At 29 Pounds Of Boost And 32 Degrees Timing 5600 Rpm.but Trust Me When You See The Video When The Motor Hits Beyond 1000 Hp It Jumps The Hp So Fast Its Hard To Read The Gauge It Would Have Made 1600+ But The Air Fuel Would Go From 11 To 1 To 13 In A Heart Beat So We Kept Having To Shut The Run Off Early.the Goal For David Was To Make A Streetable 1000 Hp And We Did That On Pump Gas .he Was Stoked.

This statement has made it all over the other forums. No one on this site has ask, so either they are used to the numbers or don't want to ask. There are some questions on the other sites. But the main one is the timing and boost numbers. I am not flaming or calling B.S, but allot are questioning the timing. I am not looking for trade secrets, but how about some thoughts on why this engine set-up can run timing abnormally higher than most in boost.

Most are saying this is at least 8 degrees more than usual and some even more than that. 8 degrees alone is allot of power to be had if it is indeed there.
Me.... I have a single T76, and on pump gas can run no more than 24 degrees with 11.5-11.8 A/F. I know that because mine is sitting on the engine stand now with burned pistons and some funny looking build-up on a combustion chamber.

I am just learning so anything you say I will store for further use.

I do have a couple of question that would help me.
1)Do you normally run this amount of timing?
2)What is piston depth in the hole?
3) Does the combustion chamber of that head require that much timing to be efficient?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you share.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:30 PM

Default 1482 Hp S.b.c.

I Usually Run More Timing Than Most People Like.if They Call It B.s. That's Cool I'm Not Trying To Prove It To You.i Do It Everyday We Made 31 Pulls That Particular Day Over 1000 Hp With Plenty Of Timing.i Can Tell You Also If I Were To Pull The Pan On That Motor The Bearings Would Look Perfect.there Is A Difference Between Inductive Ignition And Capacitive.the Crank Degrees In Which The Spark Is Lit Is Quite A Bit .i Have Alot Of Street Cars In The High 7's Running With That Kind Of Timing.i Tend To Run More Fuel Than Most The Motor Likes The Extra Crank Degrees To Light It.you Have To Remember Every Motor Is Different.there Are Different Combustion Chambers Locations In Which The Spark Plug Is.different Piston Shapes.even The Crank Stroke Plays A Part In The Deal.we Just Had A V6 With A Single 76mm Turbo On It And A Set Of -10 Brodix's The Owner Who Brought His Tuner With Him Fought On The Dyno For A Whole Day And Could Not Make Over 450 Hp.they Were Running 22 Degrees At 18 Psi And Would Not Listen To Me About Adding Some Timing At The End Of The Day After They Beat This Thing To Death I Added 13 Degrees At 18 Psi And The Motor Picked Up 200 Hp.don't Be A Hater Tom
Old 03-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Deuce
This statement has made it all over the other forums. No one on this site has ask, so either they are used to the numbers or don't want to ask. There are some questions on the other sites. But the main one is the timing and boost numbers. I am not flaming or calling B.S, but allot are questioning the timing. I am not looking for trade secrets, but how about some thoughts on why this engine set-up can run timing abnormally higher than most in boost.

Most are saying this is at least 8 degrees more than usual and some even more than that. 8 degrees alone is allot of power to be had if it is indeed there.
Me.... I have a single T76, and on pump gas can run no more than 24 degrees with 11.5-11.8 A/F. I know that because mine is sitting on the engine stand now with burned pistons and some funny looking build-up on a combustion chamber.

I know you are not bashing Tom, just questioning the timing. If you doubt him, I am sure David Freiburger, who was present for all the dyno pulls would be a pretty good reference to ask.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/...lownbbchigh.wmv
Project Rides:
1968 Firebird - Blown 540
1987 Blazer 4x4 - Blown 355
2007 Magnum
2010 Camaro SS - LSX Twin Turbo
Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM NELSON
I Usually Run More Timing Than Most People Like.if They Call It B.s. That's Cool I'm Not Trying To Prove It To You.i Do It Everyday We Made 31 Pulls That Particular Day Over 1000 Hp With Plenty Of Timing.i Can Tell You Also If I Were To Pull The Pan On That Motor The Bearings Would Look Perfect.there Is A Difference Between Inductive Ignition And Capacitive.the Crank Degrees In Which The Spark Is Lit Is Quite A Bit .i Have Alot Of Street Cars In The High 7's Running With That Kind Of Timing.i Tend To Run More Fuel Than Most The Motor Likes The Extra Crank Degrees To Light It.you Have To Remember Every Motor Is Different.there Are Different Combustion Chambers Locations In Which The Spark Plug Is.different Piston Shapes.even The Crank Stroke Plays A Part In The Deal.we Just Had A V6 With A Single 76mm Turbo On It And A Set Of -10 Brodix's The Owner Who Brought His Tuner With Him Fought On The Dyno For A Whole Day And Could Not Make Over 450 Hp.they Were Running 22 Degrees At 18 Psi And Would Not Listen To Me About Adding Some Timing At The End Of The Day After They Beat This Thing To Death I Added 13 Degrees At 18 Psi And The Motor Picked Up 200 Hp.don't Be A Hater Tom
Tom, thanks for replying back. I am no hater... If you noticed I only want to know how you do it. Of course I understand your time and experience with tuning should not be just given away totally. Your example is even more proof that what you are doing is not something most do.

Great job on the engine again, David should be very happy with the finished product.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Default 1482 hp

Sorry for jumping on you a little I took it the wrong way.I would say one thing you're seing with you're deal with a single t is the air inlet gets gets hot fast with the properly sized twins air inlet is way cooler.oil control is another little secret any oil in the chamber bang detonation.Ignition system is another one.low compression deals 8.5 and lower usually like more timing.Camshaft is also a player.I'm no genius i just play around with things until i think they work well and thats what has worked for me.The piston usually sets about .010 in the hole with a .040 gasket the combustion chamber is a brodix 11x cnc deal it has squish pads on both sides and the pistons are a reverse dish with quench pads also not just a bathtub.the real key to the power is the turbo's the turbo is the single most important thing you can do way more important than heads /cam/everything with the exception of building a stout motor.We as of right now on the small blocks have played with 64 different vararations of the turbos.I know thats not spelled right.When you get it right .hold on.But like i said every motor is different my engine masters chrysler 470 was 13.2 to 1 with 280 pounds cranking on pump gas and liked 26 degrees total it would actually lose 100 hp at 36.even on race gas.but some motors like timing some don't.I don't think there is any set deal.A general rule is with a small combustion chamber on a big displacement motor with a lot of arm in it and a flat top piston i would generally see it didn't need as much timing than a big domed big combustion chambered motor of the same size .But i don't no until i try it.thanks for the good words.Tom
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM

Thats good info Tom!

I had worried about compression ratios below 8.5 not giving enough power on street cars when not in boost, making them lazy at low rpm.

When you say good oil control, are you meaning better oil ring control or do you suggest running a evac system on boosted street engines?

I see allot of people struggling with PCV set-ups on street cars trying to relieve crankcase pressure and control oil leaks. Have any thoughts there??

Again thanks for the help.