Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Default Ridetech s-10 bolt on 4 link?

Just wondering if anyone would have some input for me. I have a '91 gmc syclone, currently its in some pieces and after reading this site for a while I think its going to have some more removed

I have been getting the autocross/ road racing bug lately and want to see about being able to make this thing handle good. If I could I would be calling up roadster shop and having them build me a new chassis with there irs but that looks like a long ways down the road idea

Up front the factory torsion bars have been eliminated and I have some custom tubular control arms with qa1 coilovers and hyercoil springs. The factory upper shock mount isnt ideal and the custom one to me looks like it has been welded at the wrong angle and I think will put the shock in bind between the 2 mounts. I am thinking of cutting both off and starting with some new coilovers from ridetech and making up some new shock mounts to get all of that in alignment.

As far as the rear I have throw so many ideas around but the truth is its going to have to be on a tight budget so I am hoping I can do all the work myself and maybe just do baby steps and at least get it to handle decent and work from there. I was looking at ridetechs 4-link and am curious is I can use it with coilovers rather than airbags? If I could use it with coilovers I was thinking of getting that system which will be way better than my current leaf springs and drop blocks
I was already planning on boxing the rear frame as the factory stopped the boxed frame under the cab, I figure that would help strengthen the frame and make the 4-link work even better.

I have noticed a lot of people seem to like the 3-link but I am unsure how someone would mount the top link to a factory 10 bolt or if its one of those you step up to a 9 inch or something like that.

My overall goal is to get the 4 link on and be able to drive it some, then tackle the front shock mounts in winter or so and just start having it as a useable project not one that just sits all the time. Maybe down the road I would be able to upgrade to a better rear diff and a 3-link or if I win the lottery a new chassis

So what do you guys think? My main question in the whole drawn out thing is can the ridetech bolt on 4-link be used with just coilovers and no airbags? Or would I have to modify it some so I could use coilovers?

Thank you all for any help you can give me I really appreciate it!

Edit: forgot link to ridetech 4-link
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1982-2...ar-system.html

Last edited by Syclone892; 07-11-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Switching to Ridetech coilovers up front and their 4 link in the rear is a great idea. It will work in the rear with coilovers.....

If you are interested in their products send me a PM, we are an authorized dealer and we can help you out...i love the old Syclones and Typhoons!!

Matt
866-628-8746

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts

Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Hi Matt
Thanks for the input and dont worry I already have the link to the kit saved from your website

Now I have to start saving up so I can order this! I noticed a while ago you had posted of steep discounts on ridetech with free shipping, any idea when that will be back

Thanks again Matt I will be in touch!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

At Chassisworks we also offer a bolt in 4-link for the S10 chassis as part of our KP Components line. My understanding is that the Syclone is a 4WD chassis, I don't know if the mounts would be in the same position.

If they are the same, it would be simple to bolt on the suspension, add a 6267 shock crossmember over the housing, some 6224 housing brackets and a pair of coilovers and you're ready to go! Click HERE to see details on the suspension kit. Give me a call if you have any questions at extension 247.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Thanks chassisworks for showing me another option

The only difference with 2 and 4wd s-10s is the front half of the frame the rear half is the same, the 4wd use a wider rear axle but the mounts are still in the same place.
'91 GMC Syclone #892
'92 GMC Typhoon #0076 Dads
'92 GMC Typhoon # Project Burnt Ty
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM

suicidedoors has probably the nicest S10 products plus they have a 3-link and a triangulated 4 link bolt in and weld in kits.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

We are still running the Ridetech special with discounts and free shipping.

We are also a Chassisworks dealer.

MCB
866-628-8746

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts

Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!