Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Default Bump steer kit - is it worth it?

My car (72 Camaro) has the usual bolt on front suspension parts (Tubular uppers, QA1 coil over’s, boxed lowers, C5 front brakes). I just changed my front spring rate and when doing so the alignment toe in got out of whack. I also received a gift card from work so I decided to get some tall ball joints and change them out before getting a new alignment since it's very simple. This got me thinking about installing a bump steer kit. Is it worth all the work?

I have started doing more and more track days. I've done 2 road course and an autocross so far this year and will hit up at least 1 more of each the remainder of the year. I'm a newbie driver and learning a lot about driving skill and tuning the car. Would there be a substantial gain on installing the bump steer or am I better off putting my time and money elsewhere?

If I install the bump steer is there somewhere I can get a bump steer gauge, borrow one, or a reputable place in Nor Cal that can install one? Is using the bump steer gauge substantially better than using a tape measure?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM

After looking at the bumpsteer gauges sold in the market I think I'm going to build my own. I was thinking about possibly making 2 changes to the standard way bumpsteer is measured, let me know your thoughts on if these changes are smart or not. I've never measured this before so I have no real world experience, I'm only thinking about other things I've done in the past with other projects.

1. Rather than using 2 indicators on a flat plate like the Longacre tool I was thinking to make a frame in a Y shape like the quick drawing I made below. Also rather than bolting it on I was thinking to use magnets to connect it to the brake rotor itself. Using the Y shape I would put the indicator at the center and as the spindle turned in or out due to bumpsteer I could see the changes on it without having to calculate anything. Am I missing something here?

2. Rather than remove the springs to check can I simply wrap a chain around the frame and under a floor jack (or bolt to floor jack) to adjust the A-arm travel when measuring? I've used this method in the past for removing springs from cars with no drivetrain installed. Would this method be reliable for measurements? More importantly would anything think there would be a safety concern?

Name:  Bumpsteer gauge.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  6.1 KB