Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM

Default Twin turbo build help..

I'm currently in the middle of a twin turbo build/swap from a 383 on my '69 Camaro and looking for some advice/suggestions. I'll start with what I have for the swap.. A completely stock LS1 out of a '99 Camaro and a T56 out of an M12 '04 GTO. I made the same mistake as most and wasn't originally planning on going with a boost set up and also bought a set of TFS 220 heads that were milled to produce 11:1 compression with Mahle pistons and factory head gaskets.

My goal is to get to around 650 hp. What I'm trying to figure out: Should I sell off the heads for lower compression, do I need to do anything to the bottom end of the LS1, what turbos would be ideal/recommended, and what's recommended for the rest of the conversion (ie fuel set up tank pump injectors, transmission parts, wastegates, blow off valves, should I upgrade my intake and throttle body, etc.?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but most definately you're going to have to strengthen the bottom end with twin turbos. That's if you want to make real power and run boost above 8 or so pounds. I would like to think with two turbos you want to make some brute power and a stock end wouldn't hold up. So, you'll need a forged rotating assembly. Without a forged bottom end, 10-12 pounds will be too much boost on a stock crank, rods, etc. Also, if you can get a good price on the heads sell them, make sure you lower your compression ratio with the right pistons as well. Sounds like it'll be a sweet setup.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Thanked 1,317 Times in 494 Posts

You say you are in the middle of the swap but it appears you have not bought any of the turbo stuff yet ? Speaking from experience I would change plans and do a Eaton style blower.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
You say you are in the middle of the swap but it appears you have not bought any of the turbo stuff yet ? Speaking from experience I would change plans and do a Eaton style blower.
What's the advantage/disadvantage?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanked 1,317 Times in 494 Posts

quicker throttle response, alot less underhood heat, alot less plumbing and associated costs, easier to make it all fit. I just think it will be alot easier to get to the power level you want to be at and I love these LS engines with the blower on them. They work great with no drama.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM

I'll second Charlie's suggestion. Eaton blowers look great and perform great as well.

To build this engine to your power goals, go ahead and get forged pistons and better connecting rods. Go with 6.0 liter style heads. Ported 317 heads will work great and you can go with a mild port job to keep costs down. Get a blower cam and 1-3/4 primary headers and you'll make you goals. I suggest a head change simply because better heads would really help the build, and should you ever remove the blower, you can put 5.7 liter heads on the engine and regain your current compression. Your goals are easy. You can make this level of power with 8 psi no sweat. Hell, I've done it with 5.5 psi and LS6 heads.

EDIT: Just reread your original post and realized you already own great heads. Go ahead and pick up some lower compression pistons. Shoot for 10:1 psi if not 10.25:1 With forged pistons you'll be fine. Speed Inc is in Illinois and they can help you for sure if you're wanting to contact someone local for advice and maybe parts.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 12-14-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM

What about the crazy high incoming air temps associated with eaton style blowers? What is the fix for getting the IAT numbers down? And heat soak?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,456 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
What about the crazy high incoming air temps associated with eaton style blowers? What is the fix for getting the IAT numbers down? And heat soak?
The heat management issues with turbos will be as big or probably a bigger problem than IAT's with a blower. I know Mark Stielow's latest car had very good IAT's in real world conditions.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM

Turbos are way more bad ass though!

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 12-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Turbo or blower, I'd get that compression lowered. We've built a couple of blower setups on top of stock LS6 motors (10.5 compression), and max power was seriously limited by the amount of timing we could use before hitting knock retard. With ~6 PSI boost, we were hitting knock retard at just 9 degrees advance at max volumetric efficiency (in the 3500-4500 RPM range). Just my opinion, I'd shoot for about 9.5 (which, incidentally, is about where the LSA and LS9 are).

That brings up another point, which is that I'd use an ECU which has provision for knock sensing, like a GM, Mast, or Holley. Detonation can destroy a boosted motor very quickly, and you don't want to worry about a tank of bad gas causing 5 digit rebuild costs. With knock sensing, you can tune less conservatively and still be more protected.