Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
The heat management issues with turbos will be as big or probably a bigger problem than IAT's with a blower. I know Mark Stielow's latest car had very good IAT's in real world conditions.
Jody,
Marks setup has had hours of dyno testing to get it where it's at. Plus, the cost of a Thompson built motor vs a ls with a magnacharger on top is a night and day difference in performance, engineering, and IAT numbers
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW32 View Post
Jody,
Marks setup has had hours of dyno testing to get it where it's at. Plus, the cost of a Thompson built motor vs a ls with a magnacharger on top is a night and day difference in performance, engineering, and IAT numbers
I understand that. I would look at more than just air temps when picking a forced induction direction. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Look up the gearing in that GTO transmission. It isn't the best for a turbo setup IMO. the 2.66 1st gear style '98-02 Fbody transmissions would be better or if you can afford it a new T56 Magnum which is 10x better in all ways.

A stock pre '05 engine has LS1 style rods which are good to around 550-600rwhp before they bend. With a perfect tune it will last.... but in the end the rods will bend. LS2 style rods seem to be good to around 800-900rwhp.

A stock intake and TB will meet your power goals easily. A single turbo would meet your goals easily but twins are aesthetically more pleasing... and more $.

If you don't plan to AutoX or Road race your car you probably don't really need the aluminum block. Crunching the numbers with the power you want... it may be best to sell that LS1 instead of building it up... and get an '05+ style engine.

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM

6.0 truck heads, arp or eBay studs, ls9 gaskets, mid to upper 22x°@.050" 114° lsa cam with good springs and a pair of 5858 provisions. it' 'll have way more power than a roots and be just as responsive. PM 417 Motorsports on here it you decide to go turbo.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:35 PM

You need to lower the compression to no higher than 8:1 . No higher otherwise you will have to run race gas.I would use a Blower/Turbocharger piston,with a strong bottom end. Good set of heads
Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 AM

8:1 compression is for dinosaur engines oe iron headed sbc and bbc with bad combustion chamber designs. LSX engine will be a slug on the bottom end like that
Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Excuse Me, I`m running a set of ported Eldelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Cylinder heads.With 2:05 intake /1:60 Manley valves. And I run 15 lbs of boost. And I know a number of successful engine builders. 8:1 compression is the maximum compression.Unless you want to run alcohol or race gas.Other wise the pre ignition will kill the rings.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons69camaro View Post
I'm currently in the middle of a twin turbo build/swap from a 383 on my '69 Camaro and looking for some advice/suggestions. I'll start with what I have for the swap.. A completely stock LS1 out of a '99 Camaro and a T56 out of an M12 '04 GTO. I made the same mistake as most and wasn't originally planning on going with a boost set up and also bought a set of TFS 220 heads that were milled to produce 11:1 compression with Mahle pistons and factory head gaskets.

My goal is to get to around 650 hp. What I'm trying to figure out: Should I sell off the heads for lower compression, do I need to do anything to the bottom end of the LS1, what turbos would be ideal/recommended, and what's recommended for the rest of the conversion (ie fuel set up tank pump injectors, transmission parts, wastegates, blow off valves, should I upgrade my intake and throttle body, etc.?
Where in this posted by the OP does say anything about a gen 1 small block? It's a LS1 which has much more efficient combustion chambers than any 23* sbc head. It will be a slug below 9:1 and it will be completely happy on 91-93 octane gasoline at 9.5:1. and if he decides to run E85 on a good tune it will live at 700hp on a stock long block plus a decent cam of which I would highly recommend LilJohn Motorsports.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM

My buddies and I know nothing about turbocharging LS engines.
My street/strip car

Fitz's T/A
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=30588
Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zspoiler View Post
Excuse Me, I`m running a set of ported Eldelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Cylinder heads.With 2:05 intake /1:60 Manley valves. And I run 15 lbs of boost. And I know a number of successful engine builders. 8:1 compression is the maximum compression.Unless you want to run alcohol or race gas.Other wise the pre ignition will kill the rings.
I'm sorry but you are a prime example of why the Internet is such a bad source for technical information. 8:1 compression was great in the early days of turbocharging but with today's technology it only makes fr a sluggish unresponsive "n/a" motor until the turbo is able to achieve positive pressure.

In today's modern day its not uncommon to see 9.5, 10, even 10.2:1 factory produced forced induction engines rinning on 91-93 octane pump gas. My personal car is 11:1 on pump fuel (e85) sees 24-25 psi with 24' of timing in boost and has been together making 4 digit rwhp numbers for 4 years currently with no issues.

Keep in mind sir, there's ALOT more to making a boosted motor happy then just compression

Cheers

Blake