Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Driving Impressions: 21st Century Subframe

Hey!

Got to drive the test mule for 21st century C5 subframe and it was absolutley outstanding. Go to pro-touring to see my brief write up as I am pressed for time today to rewrite everything. I will check back from time to time to answer any questions.

Payton
Old 02-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Default payton

sounds awesome, just copy what you wrote and paste here.
we need all the specs of the suspension and some pics!!!
jake

Last edited by 68protouring454; 02-14-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,455 Times in 629 Posts

This is copied off his Pro Touring post:

"Hi All!

Well, I got to drive the test mule for 21st Century's C5 sub frame. It is a 68 Convertible Camaro with their design subframe connectors and C5 subframe. Basically they put the car back together and took it to the alignment shop and then I drove the car. There has been no tweaking on the car what-so-ever.

IT WAS AMAZING! The part of the expierence that I was not prepared for was the ride quality. I would have guessed it to be stiff, but not so. I would say that it rides better than a C5 vette. The steering is lightning fast. I tried to push the car but my common sense got the better of me. I am riding around in the country going down 2 lane roads where the posted speed is 35 mph and I am doing 75 mph trying to get an idea of the car at the limit and I could not even get the tires to howl. Same two lane road and I take my hand off the wheel about 65 mph and the car tracks straight and true. This is also the case over any road irregularities as well...very stable package. Easy to drive fast.

Ed called me later in the day and had gone to a local school parking lot, hooked up a "G-Tech" and proceded to rip off a .92 on about a 70 ft circle. Again this with no tuning or tweaking of any kind running normal Goodyear rubber. 245/45/17 and 275/40/17.

Needless to say, I am very excited. I took a leap of faith after speaking with Ed and Jim and I am happy that I did. When you take someone that is use to designing race cars that run 200 mph and have them design a subframe for a 1st gen car, you can bet that it has the goods to exceed any expectations that you have. I am confident with testing, tuning, some sticky tires and this subframe in on a coupe that pulling close to 1 g will be possible. I also know that there is more to a good handling car than a skid pad figure and this car has the entire package. I get to drive a lot of cool cars as I am an insurance agent and my policyholders know that I am into cars so if they get something new I get to drive it. So this rave review comes from someone that has recently driven a 360 Modena, Bentley GT, AWD twin turbo 911 and a Mallet Z06. If you have any questions, lt them fly."

Payton

Thanks for the info Payton, sounds like a very nice setup!

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM

Nice write up, Payton. You've got to be the coolest insurance guy I know!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:51 AM

Default subframe

Let me guess...I am the only one you know? Ha ha

How long is the driving season in Alaska? 1.5 days? My dad lives in Clear and my Uncle lives off of Kodiak.

Thanks for posting my write up Jody! Are you going to have you car done in time for the power tour?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Payton's driving impression of 21st CSM subframe

Thanks for the glowing report. True specs will come after a day at the track. One of the neat things was that when we were having it aligned that our plan to allow anyone to be able to bolt the suspension on, set the eccentrics at their midpoint and set toe and then drive over for the alignment should work very well. The jig that Jim built put tolerances so close as to be off about .05 degrees on camber and only about a .5 degrees on caster from what we were shooting for. I had to comment to Jim "damn your good give yourself a pat on the back". I'll take the blame for the .5 derees on caster as I made last minute changes constantly on him. We've got alot of adjustability built in so there is alot of tuning to do yet. We'll keep you posted. Thanks Ed
Old 02-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Supporting Member

Payton,
You go boy.Some of the best dollars you have spent so far??I may have to make a trip to charlotte this summer.
Chris
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Can't wait to see the proven numbers, Ed. That's something I wish more of the aftermarket would do with their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King
Let me guess...I am the only one you know? Ha ha

How long is the driving season in Alaska? 1.5 days? My dad lives in Clear and my Uncle lives off of Kodiak.
Payton, the weather here in Anchorage is actually pretty mild, it isn't as extreme as Clear or as volatile as Kodiak, so we get about 3 months or so of good driving weather.

By the way, I just returned from Denali National park, which is just south of Clear, and all I can say is that I feel for your dad!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Default subframe

yea Chris...best dollars spent so far! I know they are going to develope one for the 2nd gen as well. Better get that body done and order one up. If you come down in october we can go to a race as well.

Clear is pretty cold. In the middle of winter he can open the door and throw a glass of water in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground. I will stay in Charlotte.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 PM

Default May be in Mi. for Dreamcruise

Chris we may be in Mi. for dreamcruise.Woodward was my old stomping grounds as I grew up in Royal Oak. My youngest son is determined to get up there for the event.I still have family there, my brother lives a block off Woodward, so my son has been exposed to some of the cruising going on there on Sat. nights when we've been visiting. If we can catch up with you then you can take er for a spin.Payton's right about the 2nd gen version. Shouldn't be too long. Ed