Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Default 2010 Camaro 14" rotors on a 12-bolt. How?

So my original thread got Lost in the server issue earlier. Probably a good thing because the info I was looking for was not what I really needed. So I have some rotors for the Camaro and I want to put them on the 12-bolt and incorporate the internal emergency brake with it. So, can this be done ? If so how? And I want to try and use as many stock parts if at all possible.
Thanks

My Build Thread;

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40557

Last edited by HEEP; 05-14-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:40 PM

If anybody can help it would be Tobin at Kore 3...............Here's my zo6 14"s on moser 12 bolt....big ford ends...internal parking brake...jim

http://www.kore3.com/
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM

I have seen those, but from what I have seen Googlin, the parking brakes are different. Do you have a measurement of the inside hat of the rotor?

Thanks,

My Build Thread;

Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
I have seen those, but from what I have seen Googlin, the parking brakes are different. Do you have a measurement of the inside hat of the rotor?

Thanks,
C5/C6 Corvette has a 190mm [7.48"] parking brake drum/shoe diameter whereas the Gen-I and Gen-II CTS-V applications use a 200mm [7.87"] parking brake assembly.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 PM

It didn't take long Bill....I knew "Mr T" would know....lol......jim
Old 05-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
C5/C6 Corvette has a 190mm [7.48"] parking brake drum/shoe diameter whereas the Gen-I and Gen-II CTS-V applications use a 200mm [7.87"] parking brake assembly.

Tobin
KORE3
So Tobin, do you have something or know of something that will get me to the 200mm parking assembly with 02-04 C5 Z06 calipers? Am I just out of luck on this? Can you point me in a direction that I need to go?

Thanks,

My Build Thread;

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So Tobin, do you have something or know of something that will get me to the 200mm parking assembly with 02-04 C5 Z06 calipers? Am I just out of luck on this? Can you point me in a direction that I need to go?

Thanks,
We don't have anything to do what you describe, and as I'm sure you either know or suspect, there's more to it than just the parking brake. The main issue you're going to have pairing the 2010+ Camaro SS rotors with the C5(Z06) rear calipers isn't the parking brake diameter, but rather the rotor thickness. The SS rotor is 28mm thick whereas the caliper is designed for a 26mm thick friction surface. While 2mm [.08"] may not sound like much, it's enough IMO to abort the plan before it even gets off the ground. Additionally, the SS rotors are what would be considered a wide annulus disc, intended to be used with a pad with a relatively large radial height (like the Brembo calipers use). The C5 rear calipers use a D732 spec pad which are designed to be used with a much narrower annulus rotor, so even if you were to machine down the thickness of the SS rotors, you'd still have a lot of under-utilized rotor mass equating to what is essentially dead weight of the rotation and unsprung variety, the worst kind.

Tobin
KORE3
Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
We don't have anything to do what you describe, and as I'm sure you either know or suspect, there's more to it than just the parking brake. The main issue you're going to have pairing the 2010+ Camaro SS rotors with the C5(Z06) rear calipers isn't the parking brake diameter, but rather the rotor thickness. The SS rotor is 28mm thick whereas the caliper is designed for a 26mm thick friction surface. While 2mm [.08"] may not sound like much, it's enough IMO to abort the plan before it even gets off the ground. Additionally, the SS rotors are what would be considered a wide annulus disc, intended to be used with a pad with a relatively large radial height (like the Brembo calipers use). The C5 rear calipers use a D732 spec pad which are designed to be used with a much narrower annulus rotor, so even if you were to machine down the thickness of the SS rotors, you'd still have a lot of under-utilized rotor mass equating to what is essentially dead weight of the rotation and unsprung variety, the worst kind.

Tobin
KORE3
Tobin,
I was afraid that was the case. So now, I guess I need some guidance on what to do. With the calipers I have, what size rotor, what kit that you sell? go ahead and spend my money for me.... Am I looking more toward a 330mm rotor? Is that in the LS rear brake category? Or are they smaller?
Thanks for your help.

My Build Thread;

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Tobin,
From what I can see on your site, I think I may be interested in this kit from you.

GM 10/12-BOLT, ø330mm C6 Z51, PARKING BRAKE

Just wondering if the calipers I have will work..

Thanks,

My Build Thread;

Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Tobin,
From what I can see on your site, I think I may be interested in this kit from you.

GM 10/12-BOLT, ø330mm C6 Z51, PARKING BRAKE

Just wondering if the calipers I have will work..

Thanks,
If your caliper assemblies are complete, then you could use them with the 330mm [13.0"] C6 Z51 setup, however you would need the C6 Z51 pad abutment brackets (PABs) to properly position the calipers with respect to the larger diameter rotors. The only setup that will work straight up with the C5(Z06) caliper assemblies will be the 305mm [12.0"] kits they were originally supplied with.

Tobin
KORE3