Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Talking New Super Short Systems Now Available !

1962 - 1971 Ford Fairlane and Torino owners rejoice! These applications have only 12" of room from the firewall to the factory shock tower, which means they are very limited to what will fit in there. The factory power brake arrangements for these cars ran an offset cantilever package that raised the vacuum booster up and over the shock tower to make it happen back in the day. We have built a few systems over the years that graft the hydraulic booster in place of the vacuum booster up and over the shock tower, though found it not to our liking for how obtrusive it was into the engine bay (big ol' mess sitting up on the driver's side of the engine compartment!), also finding a pedal ratio decrease occurring through the cantilever package that wasn't to our liking either. After 15 years of NOT being able to accommodate these applications (without use of the factory upward offset vacuum boost cantilever), we have accomplished a breakthrough design that brings the assembled length of the hydraulic brake booster and master cylinder in at a never before heard of incredible 11 3/4" inches! (tape measure in images shows shorter still - casting variations being accounted for - nominal assembled observed length coming in at 11.6")

What makes this system special is that it is designed to bolt straight into the firewall, eliminating the up and over the shock tower cantilever. This now allows the entire system to tuck very neatly much lower down and out of the way between the firewall and the shock tower. It is as slender as the master cylinder on the engine side, so if you have a manual brake car, just visualize the package having the same profile on the engine side, just longer.

NEW SPECIAL ORDER MODEL # 3869

The brake assist unit itself hasn't been shortened up (6 3/8" from firewall to MC mounting flange) - it's the late model "micro master" design at 5 3/8" installed length that makes it happen. Do please note that this MC may look normal as bolted to the face of the brake unit, though it will most definitely not fit a typical vacuum booster or any hydraulic brake booster (proprietary mods required to make this micro MC interface with a hydraulic brake assist unit) - similar to the proprietary mods required mods required to accommodate our special order balance bar design debuted last year:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36692

NOTE: Let's save some tech calls in advance: This new Fairlane / Torino or the balance bar system are designs that you could NOT replicate on your end in any type of bolt on format. There are highly specific proprietary designs at work here to make this happen. This particular MC bore size is 1", and has been proven to work with disc / disc and disc / drum braking systems. We do not have alternate MC bore sizes of this design currently available at this time. This system must be ordered as a combination of the brake assist unit with the master cylinder included - the only options at this time is the level of preparation (base / street prep / full show prep) and whether you want a power steering line set included with the order or not (meaning you cannot order in just the brake unit or master cylinder separately, as it is a matched / blueprinted set). We may be able to do a CNC machined billet aluminum firewall mounting plate as opposed to the steel plate shown for you as an upscale option - contact us for further details. Since the brake assist unit mounting nut protrudes out of the backside of the flat steel mounting plate to keep the installed length as short as possible, this will mean that you will have to clearance grind the round firewall MC pass through hole with a carbide burr on an air motor slightly to clear the brake assist unit mounting nut. And of course costs, right? The base model pricing for the brake unit / master cylinder package is $775. And YES - we may be able to incorporate this new super short micro MC design into other certain applications upon request where space is at a premium - contact us for further details.

Ask for Jim Petty: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/contact.html

Paul M. Clark <-- the Ukrainian - Slava Ukraini !
Founder / Master Engineer
Hydratech Braking Systems ®
www.hydratechbraking.com

Last edited by Hydratech®; 01-16-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 AM

Put this over here for you

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/vie...hp?f=1&t=36270

My 68 Torino
Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Default Ah yes...

Jarhead - first and foremost - Semper Fidelis! Any and all service to our country is something I am deeply grateful for. I have direct family currently in lifelong military service, so I can truly relate. Thank you kindly for any and all service you have performed for our county.

Thanks much for posting that up in the TorinoCobra.com forum. We have received a few hundred inquiries over the years to produce coverage for this application, and have tickled everybody pink that have chosen Hydratech on this new system.

I see we have the classic internet guy essentially saying "wrap it in Velcro and simply toss it up on the firewall" chiming in that forum about how he can grab a used system from an Astro van and make it happen for a hundred bucks / manual brakes are the incredible answer scenario...

To my ears, this is a classic case of "10k for an Edelbrock 383" ??? I can get a good used 4 BOLT MAIN work truck 350 Chevy motor at the bone yard for a "coupla hundred' and spray can rebuild it with a cam and headers = your stupid for falling into aftermarket hype stuff. Sigh...

Truth be known, there is this incredibly funny notion that we are sitting out on our yachts counting our money and thinking about were we could spend it to make even more money while bikini clad 20 somethings bring us our drinks. The actual reality is that I do not have health insurance, constantly worry about making my bills, taking care of my family, and not certain about our future (like the fat cats that some perceive we most certainly must be). We are exceptionally real, hard working people that are just making our bills week to week / month to month - please respect that for what it's worth. I dream of walking into a Chevy dealership someday and signing papers on a good used Camaro (or, gasp? CORVETTE!) TMI? Maybe? Yep... No, just putting it out there that real parts cost real money. Go ahead and follow the internet hype and grab a junkyard unit, march over to your ride and get busy - you will then very quickly see that there is a reason why we exist.

There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydratech View Post
Jarhead - first and foremost - Semper Fidelis! Any and all service to our country is something I am deeply grateful for. I have direct family currently in lifelong military service, so I can truly relate. Thank you kindly for any and all service you have performed for our county.

Thanks much for posting that up in the TorinoCobra.com forum. We have received a few hundred inquiries over the years to produce coverage for this application, and have tickled everybody pink that have chosen Hydratech on this new system.

I see we have the classic internet guy essentially saying "wrap it in Velcro and simply toss it up on the firewall" chiming in that forum about how he can grab a used system from an Astro van and make it happen for a hundred bucks / manual brakes are the incredible answer scenario...

To my ears, this is a classic case of "10k for an Edelbrock 383" ??? I can get a good used 4 BOLT MAIN work truck 350 Chevy motor at the bone yard for a "coupla hundred' and spray can rebuild it with a cam and headers = your stupid for falling into aftermarket hype stuff. Sigh...

Truth be known, there is this incredibly funny notion that we are sitting out on our yachts counting our money and thinking about were we could spend it to make even more money while bikini clad 20 somethings bring us our drinks. The actual reality is that I do not have health insurance, constantly worry about making my bills, taking care of my family, and not certain about our future (like the fat cats that some perceive we most certainly must be). We are exceptionally real, hard working people that are just making our bills week to week / month to month - please respect that for what it's worth. I dream of walking into a Chevy dealership someday and signing papers on a good used Camaro (or, gasp? CORVETTE!) TMI? Maybe? Yep... No, just putting it out there that real parts cost real money. Go ahead and follow the internet hype and grab a junkyard unit, march over to your ride and get busy - you will then very quickly see that there is a reason why we exist.

You are welcome
Everyone has their own solution so I don't fault a guy for building and modding his own car, just thought I would post it for you.

BTW, if you do sell any from that post I full expect a commission of a ride on your yacht with those bikini clad 20 somethings bringing us our drinks

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 01-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Thanks Joe - it's actually sitting on the pontoon boat with my two pitbulls and reaching into the cooler for a beer though.

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Wink

Looking at the torinocobra.com forum, I see that I have been misunderstood, in that we are not talking about whether a hydroboost can be grafted into this application or not. Grafting a hydroboost unit into a Torino / Fairlane without shock towers is challenging, but can be done. Grafting a hydroboost unit into the factory offset cantilever package in place of the factory vacuum booster is considerably more challenging, as you will find the pedal rod connection to the cantilever package is too short for a hydroboost unit to easily accommodate (as the tail of the hydroboost unit casting itself is 2 7/16" in and of itself)...

Hydratech has "been there / done that" a decade ago and were not satisfied with the results, and therefore chose not to market this particular system. With an overall installed length of almost 20", being incredibly overbearing into the engine compartment, I pulled the plug on this application as not satisfied with the engineering session:

Master cylinder at 8.125" installed length, brake unit at 6 3/4", Ford factory cantilever at 5"~ installed length = monster installed length with unsatisfactory overall layout and real time road test results did not meet my expectations. Way too much of a messy obtrusive package into the engine compartment. It was better than a vacuum booster, but not up to Hydratech "snuff", so we chose not to market it.

I just didn't like this at all - heck, it almost reached the front of the valve cover (!)

It was so obtrusive into the engine compartment that I could not stand looking at it, even though it DID WORK:

No shock towers per having an aftermarket subframe installed? NO PROBLEM

Do please note that where we are "pulling the rabbit out of the hat" with this new system is in providing a highly engineered package that installs directly into the firewall with the factory shock towers still in place, and not using the factory offset up and over the shock tower cantilever arrangement.

www.hydratechbraking.com

Last edited by Hydratech®; 01-18-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

It looks like we have hit that "aha moment" with this new design debut in clarifying that these new systems fit between the firewall and the factory shock tower unlike any other hydroboost system previously / currently available.

Mods - would you please be so kind as to move this discussion to the wheels / tires / brakes forum where I realize that I should have posted this in the first place?

www.hydratechbraking.com
Old 12-17-2015, 08:30 PM

Default Finish level

Paul,

I am indeed rejoicing! Is the new unit shown in the photos of the first post representative of the base finish level?

Thanks!

'66 Fairlane GTA Convertible
'67 Fairlane 500XL
'67 Fairlane GT

Last edited by Casey; 12-17-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Supporting Manufacturer

HydratechBraking.com

Yes - the images shown are of the base model. You can view further details along with expandable images by scrolling further down this web page:

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products.html

www.hydratechbraking.com